What's new

7.1 and DVD's, is there a benefit? (1 Viewer)

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
Sort of a noobie question here: If I go with a 7.1 system,
how will it affect DVD playback? If the DVD was encoded for
5.1 sound, how will a 7.1 system utilize the sound coming
from a 5.1 datastream?

Will it:
a) Use all four surrounds? (if so, how?)
b) Use only the 2 rear surrounds?
c) Do something else I haven't mentioned yet?
d) Or is 7.1 for music/pro logic signals only?

I've done a bunch of searching on this but have not found
any solid answers.

Thanks,
Mat

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
WHAT'S 7.1?
On some recievers, there is an extra port for the rear surround channel which let's you create a more immersive experience by making the center channel sound more open by adding another speaker. No true home 7.1 digital surround system is available, nor is likely to be in the near future.

For there to be a "true" 7.1 format, there would have to be real discrete 7.1 encoded masters... and currently for HT, there are not (SDDS can offer this for theatrical, but not for the home).

There are several "7.1" formats (including the Onkyo 7.1 and Lexicon's excellent Logic 7 system)... but all these are creating matrixed channels from an existing discrete set of 5.1 or 6.1 signals
This still does not answer any of my questions, and that is why I posted here. I'm assuming that the answers to these questions are either really easy or too hard to answer since no one is replying. Will anyone at all step up to the plate here???

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Here's the easy answer:

Since there is no standard for "7.1", the implementation of such 8-channel processing is entirely up to the maker of the receiver or pre/pro that offers it. So the answer to all your questions is the same: It depends on what the manufacturer has decided to implement.

M.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
So anyone up for giving the hard answer(s)? I'm trying to justify getting a 7.1 system or just staying with the 5.1

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I'll help decode the mess for ya. All recievers and pre/pro's that can utilize 7.1 have some sort of processing similar to pro logic that will decode all sources into 7.1. This means 2.0 5.1 and 6.1. This means any source you play has the option of being played in all 7 speakers if you want. Rotel calls theirs Rotel XS processing and others call it something else. The reciever decodes sound that is meant to be played in both surrounds and sends this info to the the rear surrounds in 7.1 to give some info back there. For a 6.1 souce there is already info sent to the sixth speaker and the reciever then just turns the signal into a 'stereo' signal to send it to 2 rear speakers for 7.1.

7.1 is mainly for movies, you can use the recivers processing to turn a stereo signal for music into 7.1 but I think you'll find most people like to keep their music in stereo and not add in all the extra processing. I like mine in stereo only.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, let's go with the Outlaw 950. This piece of equipment
has caught my eye, and I'm curious what it will do to DVD
playback. Does it have multiple 7.1 modes? How does it
distribute the power to the side surrounds and the rears?
Anything you post will be greatly appreciated.

Mat

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've never used the Outlaw, but there are lots of owners on HTF. The search function is down at the moment, but I'm sure there are some older threads in the Receivers forum. And if you can't find any, just start a new one.

M.

TomHansen

Agent
From what I've read, 7.1 basically takes the two surround channels, and uses a Pro-Logic-type process to break those two rear channels to 1 or 2 channels. This is supposed to improve the sound a little bit more over the standard 5.1 config. Imagine a plane moving from the front to the right rear. In 5.1, the sound will go from the center, to the front-right, to the right-sourround. In the 7.1 it will move from the Center, to the front-right, to the right-side, to the newly created right-rear. This will give a better effect of the plane going compeletely behind you rather than just stopping at the side of you.

a 6.1 will just put one directly behind you, a 7.1 will put two behind you, so you can differentiate right versus left. And 8.1 (wow) would have three rear surrounds. Keep in mind this requires your first set of surrounds to basically be directly to the side of you, and the rears to be behind you. If your room has the lenth to do this, I say go for it. I for one will probably be looking into getting my next reciever with 7.1, and buying two more surrounds for the extra little realism.

Tom Hansen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks