What's new

7,1 and 9.1 question (1 Viewer)

Jerry Smith

Auditioning
As my first post, I would like to thank all of you for this forum. It has already improved my home theater and I've only been lurking for a month.

Now for the newbie question: In a 7.1 set-up are there two main rears and 2 surround rears or are all 4 rear speakers treated equally? How about the fronts in 9.1 (a center and 4 fronts or a center, 2 fronts, and 2 surround fronts?).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, there is nothing beyond 6.1(for the home), which is only available with DTS-ES discrete.

7.1 uses dual mono rear backs, or oftentimes now added processing such that those are in stereo. The reason for this over 6.1, is that a single speaker in the center plane of your head to the rear can be confused by your brain as coming from the front instead of the back. Using two, separated back there eliminates chances of this happening.

9.1 variations, AFAIK are very propriatary dsp modes to create new channels, sometimes with front effects channels, or other crazy things. There is no 9.1 format, just as there is no 7.1 format.

Jerry Smith

Auditioning
I guess I knew that, but didn't really ask my real question. I have a great 5.1 speaker system (Paradigm Reference V.3) and just purchased the Yamaha RX-Z9 (arrives in 2 days) to increase power and go beyond an old Sony 5.1 receiver (6 years old). So my real question is...to take advantage of the receiver's 7.1 mode, do the 4 speakers in the rear need to be the same (do I need to buy another pair of ADP-470's or Studio 20's to sound correct or can I use an old pair of speakers that are not truly timbre matched for now)? If I use the 9.1 feature, how good do the extra 2 speakers need to be (about the same question)? Or should I stay with 5.1 until I am able to buy another pair?

Ideally they'd be the same, but given the amount and type of sound coming from them in a 7.1 HT setup (as opposed to a 5.1 music setup), I'd recommend you try them out and see if you're satisfied with the sound before you invest a good deal of money in new speakers.

(I love 50+ word one sentence answers. Can you blame me?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks