7.1/6.1 reciever output question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohanD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Take for example two recievers:
    100w x 6 channels @8ohm (6.1)
    100w x 7 channels @8ohm (7.1)

Lets say I only have a 6.1 setup. If I have 6 speakers hooked up to the 7.1 receiver, what happens to the power of the 7th channel? IE does the amplifier share the load across channels, or is that effectively "lost"?

6 speakers on the 6.1 will get 100w each (theoretically), what do 6 speakers on the 7.1 get?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hard to predict, but most likely neither will be putting out nearly that much power into all the channels at the same time. Don't get so tied up with the wattage numbers so much.

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Right.. I understand that.. but I just mean what would put out more.. then 6.1 or 7.1?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

it's impossible to predict, unless those are concrete numbers, which I'm sure they are not at all. Without knowing the receiver, it's really going blindly by numbers, that I'm sure you pulled from the product specs, which mean absolutely nothing without the clarifying informatiion of how they were derived.

What receivers are you looking at specifically? That would elicit far more useful help than these numbers, which really mean nothing. At best they indicate that one receiver has 7 amps, and the other only 6. But that's about it.

5. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't looking at any receivers specifically. I just meant everything else being equal if there was a difference between output of a 6.1 and a 7.1 receiver. Did not pull the specs anywhere except from theoretical argument. [​IMG]

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, theoretically speaker, if those specs were fully accurate, that all channels in each could put out 100W full-range continuously, then that would seem to indicate it is the amp stages that are the limits of output, not the power supply, as is normally the case, so then they should function as specd. PRetty unhelpful, though, IMO, theoretically speaking, since the power supply is almost always the limiting factor.