6th Grader Finds Calculator Glitch

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chu Gai, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I tell you, it's the kids we have to worry about. Read about it here.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

In a related story, the same kid was congratulated for reminding the teacher to assign homework on the Friday before a long weekend

3. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

This is why we have bullies in school.

- Colton

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

[​IMG]

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Since discovering the glitch, 12-year-old Dakota Brown has spent 1/4, or 0.25 of his time being beaten by classmates.

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Not to take this one too seriously, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

1. Who in a real world job would be expected to make this kind of conversion manually? I guess it's good to know how, in case most every computer in existence suddenly disappeared off the planet.

2. Again, in the real world, are we not expected to take advantage of techniques which not only increases accuracy but saves time? If she was clever enough to figure it out, she should have been commended...ala Captain Kirk in the Kobayashi Maru. [​IMG]

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Good that you said that. If a student can't convert fractions into decimals then they deserve a poor grade. Wouldn't you want to know how and why instead of someone telling you "just because this is how it is"?

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I think it's pretty cool. This might be the kid that figures out one day that linking all the battlestars by remote networks could leave us vulnerable to Cylon genocidal assaults. Good for him...

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

In another related story, a major automobile manufacturer is recalling its entire line of vehicles equipped with keyless entry systems as the same 12-year old kid, who by the way loves pressing buttons just for the heck of it, unlocked all the vehicles equipped with the keyless entry system at a local dealership lot on Sunday afternoon simply by pressing a combination of buttons on the keypad that would add up to a total of 12.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I heard he is being offered membership into the Lambda Lambda Lambda fraternity. [​IMG]

"Nerds!!"

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My response to this question, as well as the "When will I ever need to know this?" question, is:

It doesn't matter wether you need to know this or wether you're going to use it or not, the reason for learning this stuff is to keep your brain active and develop 'learning skills'.

I love to learn about things that have nothing to do with my 'real world', just for the mere fact that I am learning something.

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

You probably do this in your head a lot more than you think. People tend to use fractions and percentages interchangeably.

If store X is offering 25% off, and store Y is offering 1/3 off, do you have to use a calculator to figure out which store to go to?

13. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Surprisingly many don't even know with a calculator... [​IMG]

14. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My Dad grew up on a farm in Ireland, he is now long deceased. He was pulled from school to help out on the farm full time and only finished up to grade 3. He could have easily handled such an example without the need of a calculator. Actually, a calculator probably would have added more difficulty to the problem.

He was a hell of a poker player and could add up the scores (in his head) during a game of darts faster than anyone in the room. Go figure...

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Kind of ironic. Kids should do graphs the old-fashion way....by hand on graphing paper.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Fractions, and other basic math, are a part of daily life. As an engineer, it's very useful to make quick estimates. This is common for engineers, scientists, project managers, etc. during planning and review meetings.

And, as George said, it's also handy when grocery shopping.

My question is, who in the real world doesn't do basic math manually?

As for this dweeby kid, finding some obtuse feature no one cares about: I work with this kid (or the adult versions). He'll be the systems engineer that ensures the NASA mission to Mars succeeds when he identifies the low probability, high risk events and makes sure they are mitigated.

17. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Why are 6th graders allowed to use calculators during exams in the first place? Although I usually do my math with a calculator or Excel these days, it's nice to know that I understand what's happening. Fundamentals are important.

In hometheater we use math to compare 4:3 and 16:9 displays, to figure out how big a subwoofer we need and again when we think about speaker placement.

18. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

I think the kids shouldn't be using calculators at all. It only makes them rely on machines later on in life. This is why we now have cashiers who cannot make proper change. No calculators in math class! Use your brain!

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I think it's because there's more to the tests than just knowing how to multiply. The real meat of the test is how to solve the problem.

In other words, if you had to figure out the difference between a 50" (16x9) tv and a 50" (4x3) tv, the multiplication is almost irrelevant if you don't know how to figure out the difference in the first place. So I think they are allowed to use the calculators because the teachers are more concerned about the students figuring out WHICH two numbers to add (subtract, multiply or divide) and not so much what the sum of those two numbers is.

20. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Jeeze, can't the teachers tell when the kids are being sarcastic? [​IMG]