What's new

6th back rear speaker question (1 Viewer)

JuanGR

Auditioning
I purchased a few months ago an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver with a set of Onkyo SKS-HT500 speakers (two front speakers, one central, two surrounds and one subwoofer). My question is, since the TX-SR600 receiver supports 6.1 mode, what's the recommended 6th speaker I should buy to use on the back rear position? Is any surround speaker OK? or should I worry about matching it to the rest.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Juan

AaronJB

Second Unit
I believe that Onkyo sells a back surround to go along with the set on their website (shoponkyo.com).

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Others would want another center channel there and some another surround speaker. If u can get matching speakers that would be ideal...

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
hey Juan,
i have the same speaker set up.
but mine is connected through the Pioneer VSX-D811S.
it offers the option of a 6.1 mode or 7.1,
so i've been debating about ordering the Onkyo back surround speaker from their website.
either i'll buy one or two back surrounds to complement the set up.
for $40 each... that's not bad.
but doesn't the shape of the back surround speaker
look awkward in that pic?????
www.shoponkyo.com
-david

JuanGR

Auditioning
Thanks everybody for the replies. I ordered the surround back speaker (SKB100) from Onkyo's web site this morning. The price was $30 ($10 discount for creating a profile on their site!).

I agree David, the speaker has an odd shape, and they don't have to many pictures available.

I will let you know how it goes once I receive it.

Thanks,
Juan

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
hey juan,
let me know when you receive it!
can you take a better picture of it as well?
pm me and let me know.
$30 sounds great.
how much was shipping?
i'm debating whether i should pick up two back surrounds.
i wish they would sell two of our surround speakers... so all four surrounds would match!
thanks,
david
:)

AaronJB

Second Unit
I recieved my back surround speaker from Onkyo today and found it to be kind of funky - not in a bad way, it's just not exactly what I expected.

Essentially, this speaker seems like the surrounds that are offered with the SKSHT-500 speaker set (probably the same internally), just with a different design (the sides go out on an angle; from the picture on the website, I thought maybe these sides were open or something to provide a more open sound or something along those lines). I suppose this design is for those who have the speaker mounted on a back wall (personally, I just have it up on a bookshelf in the rear of the room).

Anyways, its a very fine sounding speaker and it works considerably better than the RCA speaker that I had back there until this speaker arrived. The RCA wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but this speaker sounds considerably fuller and, of course, matches nicely in terms of sound with the other two surrounds.

It's a good speaker and a fine deal for $30 shipped ground (you should get $10 off for registering on Onkyo's website - Onkyo has a points program that can be used for purchases). The price w/2-day shipping is $40. The speaker includes the same kind of thin wire that comes with the speakers in the Onkyo SKSHT-500 speaker set (read: You should definitely seek better wire)

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info aaron.

i still don't understand why the back surrounds are shaped that way with the slanted side.

i wonder if onkyo would sell me a set of the small surrounds. it would be great to have the back surrounds match the current cube surrounds that we have in the sksht500 speaker set.

$40 per back surround sounds terrific.

what if i order two? will i only receive $10 off still?

aaron, do you have a pic for us?
i would love to see a better picture of the back surround speakers.
pm me?
-david

AaronJB

Second Unit
First pic: Back Surround Front

Second pic: Back Surround Side

Third pic: Back Surround Rear

Fourth Pic: Side Surround Front View

AaronJB

Second Unit
David,

Onkyo has a website called clubonkyo.com where you register. Shoponkyo.com is their shopping website. Registering gets you 10 points, which, when checking out my speaker, amounted to $10 (which seemed like an awfully good deal just for registering). Purchases through this website also add up additional points, as do registering your Onkyo products. So, register your current Onkyo products and **maybe** you could get additional money off (I didn't think of trying this until after I'd finished my purchase.)

If anyone else would like pictures of the individual speakers in the Onkyo SKSHT-500 set, private message me and I would be glad to post them here or start another thread with pictures of each specific speaker included.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron!
thank you so much. that was very much appreciated.
from the picture off onkyo's website, it looked like
only one side was slanted inwards? it's good to know that both sides slant inwards versus one.
i think i will consider ordering two back surrounds for my 7.1 setup.
also, i see that you've mounted your surrounds on the wall. were you not concerned about the port holes on the back? doesn't that disrupt the air flow of the speakers?
what are your thoughts on that? i had that in mind as well, but hesitated after looking at how the port holes would be covered too much.
again, thanks for the pics.
i think you made a great buy! by the way, how much did you pay for your speakers? luckily, i picked the sksht500 set after Thanksgiving for $199. although most people seem to prefer the JBL NSP1 II's over these Onkyos, i think my set is a great value!!!!
:D take care,
david

AaronJB

Second Unit
I bought my SKSHT-500 a week before the $199 sale, then went back to CC to do the 110% price match. I lucked out and ended up paying about 184.

Surprisingly, the speakers actually sound fine against the wall, but I am looking into speaker mounts in the near future.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
I registered on clubonkyo.com and did receive the 10 points. And if I register my SKSHT500 speaker set, I will receive an additional 5 points.
However, their registration page is down at this time. So hopefully, it will be up soon.
I'm also looking into speaker mounts. But the surrounds just seem too big for speaker mounts. Let us know if you find anything good Aaron!
Thanks again.
:)
david

JuanGR

Auditioning
I have the same set of speakers (SKS-HT500) and I'm using the SATP-B speaker mounts from SoundGear (http://www.vantagepointcorp.com/sg.htm) to mount the surrounds and they seem to work fine.
What I'm looking for is a nice good set of speaker stands for my front speakers, if anybody has a suggestion.

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
I used Wood Technology HD-31 stands from Crutchfield. They put the tweeters right at my ear level when seated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks