What's new

6ft viewing distance-whats the biggest TV & can get? (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Direct view or RPTV, whats the biggest I can watch at a 6ft distance? Mainly DVD watching, some HD content & some analog content.

Thanks

For movie watching, the SMPTE minimum recommended viewing angle is 30 degrees. For a 6 ft viewing distance that corresponds to a 43" 16x9 format screen. Following THX guidelines you could go as big as 50 inches, which would yeild a 35 degree viewing angle. You are probably not going to like the way NTSC sources look at this distance but HD and good DVD's should be OK. Always best to try it out first.
Calculations from viewing distance calculator.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Great site, I was looking for that site but couldn't find it while searching. Thanks for posting the link.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I was eyeing either the JVC 48 inch 16:9 or the Hitachi 43 inch 16:9-looks like the Hitachi fits my needs while the JVC is too big. Im replacing a 36inch Toshiba HD direct view-its my second one & both have had major problems. The store I bought it from doesnt have any other HD 36 inch direct views so I have to look at RPTVs. They also have a 42 inch Toshiba in my price range, but after going through 2 of thier 36hfx71s, I am a little reluctant to get another Toshiba

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have a Mits 46" 16:9 and sit at the 6' mark. It's perfect. Any larger and it might be too much.
Peace Out~:D

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am about 6-7 feet from my 47in Panasonic, and it is perfect, and very low priced for its performance and features!

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Looks like Im getting the Hitachi 43uwx10b-Its a tabletop model & thus I wont have to get rid of my entertainment center, but i will have to do some modifications to make it fit. Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks