6ch vs digital bass help, Can't get it right

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Derek*C, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Derek*C

Derek*C Auditioning

I have a HUGE difference on my subs when switching between 6ch input and regular digital input. The subs play much louder when using the digital input. I've tried setting all speakers to small and then setting all speakers to large. Did this on both the DVD player and on the AVR. I've also tried playing with PCM or not output from the DVD player. I can't get a combination that doesn't have about a 20dB delta. Makes it impossible to set the subs right. I listen to 6 ch for DVD-A/SACD and I prefer the digital connection for movies. My system is: Yamaha RXV3000, Denon 2200, VMPS RM2's, VMPS center, a pair of home built ACI subs w/PE 250w amps.
    Anyone else run into this or have ideas how to fix it?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On the 2200 have you set it for +10dB for hires audio? PCM will not help you, since it is stereo.

3. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I would calibrate the digital output with the controls on your receiver. Then I would calibrate your 6-channel setup by adjusting the level controls in your player. That way, you don't have to adjust when you switch back and forth.

That's what I did, anyway. I had to set the sub about 10 dB higher than the other speakers for multi-channel.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

What was once old is new again....

About a year ago, there were daily posts from users getting into to hi-rez, who noted that the bass level was low on the 6CH out. If you search on the subject of "Low LFE" you will find hours worth of stuff to read.

But lately there has not been much talk about it. It seems that newer gear has provided some compensation at the receiver or pre/pro side.

In any event, as Nathan said, many users found that they needed a 10dB bump for hi-rez stuff via a 6CH analog connection. I know that many Denon AVR's have a switchable boost. Didn't know that the 2200 player also has it....wow, that means with a Denon AVR and a 2200, I can get 20 dB of boost...Yee Haa!

OK, just kidding there, boys and girls.

Here's a FAQ that a group of members wrote that has a section dealing with bass level.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL

5. Derek*C

Derek*C Auditioning

John,Nathan, Thanks for the quick replies. +10 on the 2200 and -5 on the AVR AFTER all speakers were switched to small did the trick.

Brian, Thanks for the tutorial. Very informative (wish I had found it when I was searching :b ) Kinda a pity to run my speakers "small" since f3 is 20Hz. May have to upgrade my electronics [​IMG]