What's new

'67 Spider-Man, initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

It's all apples and oranges.
It was'nt meant to be full blown animation.
They used art from the original panels much like the comics on dvd intec.com came out with last christmas.
Anyway, as with the spidey and the other marvel shows I watch the '67 episodes on the past 3 spider-man dvd's a little bit more than the '94 eps. While the '67 shows to me are more fun to watch, the '94 show has more dramatic stories and flashier animation. They both use different animation types/styles so you can't really compare them. It's a little like comparing the krofft puppets with the muppets. Both good just different times, budget, people, different styles.
I'll leave the cgi and sam raimi versions of spidey to you all too. I'm happy witn the old stuff.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

It's all apples and oranges.
It was'nt meant to be full blown animation.
They used art from the original panels much like the comics on dvd intec.com came out with last christmas.
Anyway, as with the spidey and the other marvel shows I watch the '67 episodes on the past 3 spider-man dvd's a little bit more than the '94 eps. While the '67 shows to me are more fun to watch, the '94 show has more dramatic stories and flashier animation. They both use different animation types/styles so you can't really compare them. It's a little like comparing the krofft puppets with the muppets. Both good just different times, budget, people, different styles.
I'll leave the cgi and sam raimi versions of spidey to you all too. I'm happy witn the old stuff.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts exactly.... I'm excited enough to finally get decent copies of the '67 series, but I'd love Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends .... one of the first shows (cartoon anyway) I remember actually watching every episode of when it originally aired.

Bryan

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts exactly.... I'm excited enough to finally get decent copies of the '67 series, but I'd love Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends .... one of the first shows (cartoon anyway) I remember actually watching every episode of when it originally aired.

Bryan

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Someone over at the dvdtoons forum says the 5th Disc in this set has NOT been remastered. (he hasn't checked the 6th disc yet)

Can anyone confirm this?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I looked at all the episodes on disc 5 again, and there are some that look worse that the others, but I still think they were touched up. Compared to the broadcast episodes I've seen, these still look much nicer.

I'd say there are 4-6 episodes that don't look as good as the others in the set.

Gord

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
According to a poster at Toon Zone all the episodes have been remastered even if some weren't touched up as well as others. The price will determine whether or not I pick up this set.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Despite the animation the Marvel Superheroes show captured the spirit of those early Comics I loved the series and would buys sets without hesitation

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Sorry to hijack the thread, but why the heck are they using the Simonson logo for Thor?!?

Now back to the thread topic: I'll be there for '67 Spidey!

:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what are you talking about?

if you refer to the pic earlier in this thread, whats exactly is wrong with that logo?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

It is not the masthead that graced cover of the comic throughout the glory days of its (Stan Lee-Jack Kirby) Silver Age run. This version didn't appear until much later (the 80's, IIRC?)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
have you read any of the simonson issues.
they are as worthy as much of the lee-kirby stories.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Tony, I can't say that I have. But, I am not the original poster. Rather, I was simply trying to answer your question about the logo. I have no doubt that Simonson did a good job on his run of Thor.

Cheers!
Gary

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Uh, oh!

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I just skimmed through these discs and I have a hard time believing that most of the episodes on disc 5 and at least one episode on disc 6 went through any kind of remastering process.

"The Winged Thing" (a Vulture episode) on disc 5 is an absolute MESS - - both video and AUDIO! It looks like it was mastered from a poor videotape transfer of a 5th or 6th generation film source. The image is soft to the point of "waxy" (like a multi-generation VHS tape dub) and full of dirt specs and other anomalies. The audio is muddy, dull and lacking in any kind of dynamic range. And things do not get better through the rest of Disc 5. Most of Disc 6 fares considerably better, but "The Devious Dr. Dumpty" is as bad, if not worse, than anything on Disc 5.

I know that this show was a "low budget" affair to begin with and of marginal technical quality, but something is definietly wrong here.

Disney is running TV ads hyping "...52 fully restored, digitally remastered episodes." But that is NOT the case with discs 5 & 6 of this set! I hope that somebody at Marvel puts pressure on Disney to correct this problem quickly and set up a disc exchange program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks