What's new

65mm movies on DVD... (1 Viewer)

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
In reply to Gordon...

If you check the widescreen museum, which as far as the HTF goes is a reference site that is quoted fairly often, their reference page for Ultra Panavision 70 states that the negative ratio is 2.76:1, as is the 70mm roadshow prints.

UP70 was composed and photographed in 2.76:1 and albeit in selected engagements was available for viewing like that too theatrically.

Regardless of what ratio re-release prints and 35mm reduction prints were in - the negative is in 2.76:1 and should be shown as such.

So few films were made in this format, that they must have carefully selected it for it's ultra-wide, ultra-clarity possibilities - therefore cropping it to 2.5 or less, is the same as cropping a scope movie down to 2.10 or less, which always brings uproar in this forum - so I don't see why UP70 should be any different and therefore it's OAR should be protected.

I'm well-aware of the fact that UP70 was mainly used to produce fantastic quality 35mm reduction prints (in a similar way that the Vistavision process was used to produce a fantastic negative that could be duplicated with a reduction in grain etc) and that some of the cinematographers composed for a 2.5:1 ratio due to the size of the screens generally available, but given that in the majority of cases the cinematographer's and director's of these epic's are long gone and not available to supervise the transfer I would be wary of anybody second-guessing their work as to what should or should not be cropped - and some of them would have utilised the full-frame in composition, even if it didn't "need" to be seen.

As for Khartoum - any 70mm film (especially a UP70 sourced one) presented with .4:1 of it's image missing and it's original multichannel soundtrack avalable only in 2.0 surround as opposed to discrete is a missed opportunity and not one I would bother watching.

M

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Do you have the Khartoum DVD? It's 2.35:1, isn't it? How does it look? I've never seen Circus World. Is it good?
The picture quality of Khartoum is very good indeed. Circus World is the only Bronston "epic" that I have no interest in. It is a tedious non-story, cicus spectacle with only Claudia Cardinale's presence to enliven one's interest!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
MGM Camera 65 was 2.76:1 and only two films were shot in Camera 65: Raintree County (1957, MGM), which was only released in 2.35:1 35mm and Ben Hur (1959, MGM).
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingup2.htm
"It should be noted that ultra high quality 35mm anamorphic reduction prints were considered a primary goal of the system and use of the 65mm cameras with spherical lenses was considered an option from the very beginning. Since flexibility in producing prints in a variety of formats was a key factor in the design of MGM Camera 65/Ultra Panavision, the exceptionally wide 2.76:1 aspect ratio was more a matter of insurance than a specification for projection. The first film in the process, Raintree County, was printed only in CinemaScope compatible 35mm with either optical sound or Magoptical sound, with a maximum aspect ratio of 2.35:1. The second film, Ben-Hur, ran in 70mm roadshow for almost a year. While it was possible to use the entire 2.76:1 image on the theatre screen, as a matter of practice the ratio was kept at about 2.5:1 so that theatres weren't required to install new wider screens or curtail the height of those already installed. Initial 35mm anamorphic prints were matted to yield a 2.5:1 aspect ratio with Magoptical soundtracks. So despite the total 2.76:1 aspect ratio, critical information was kept within an area of 2.35 to 2.5:1."
I'd like to see all the 2.76:1 65mm movies on DVD, each with a pristine 2.76:1 transfer. Ever hear of the "SmileBox" film to video widescreen transfer technique? http://www.cineramaadventure.com/smilebox.htm :emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:?
I like the Brando version of Mutiny On The Bounty and I'd love to see it in 2.76:1, it was actually the last Ultra Panavision film to be theatrically presented at roadshows in anamorphic 70mm, at 2.76:1 of course. Mad World, Fall Of The Romans and Khartoum were only printed in spherical 70mm at 2.21:1 and 35mm at 2.35:1 so it has some prestige! ;)
I'll avoid the DVD of Khartoum.
Thanks again, Mark. :)
Gordy

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Gordon,
I'm not exactly sure what your quote from the widescreen museum was supposed to be saying, as it says nothing that I didn't refer to in my last post. But I'm glad you agree that all UP70 films should be available on dvd in 2.76:1, transferred from original negative material.
BTW I don't know what set-up you have, but a very good ISF calibrator is based in scotland (in fact the only one in the country), who can adjust your TV/projection set-up to produce fantastic image quality - he covers the majority of mainland UK - http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/
M

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, Ultra Panavision films should be shown around 2.55:1. 2.76:1 only if the film is shown curved, but only the few made for Cinerama exhibition really need it. Even It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World wasn't made for Cinerama screens...if I recall correctly, the decision to show it in Cinerama (actually just recified 70mm) was an afterthought.

But....Around the World in Eighty Days needs smileboxing. Nearly all of the film was shot with the Todd-AO bugeye lens. Doing so would further enhance the film...I hope WB does this for the future DVD that is rumored. (2003, probably)

Smileboxing DOES distort the image, but counteracts the weird "flatness" of Cinerama images. Notice how How The West Was Won has bent walls and other objects on the side panels? If smileboxed, the image would be stretched on the sides slightly, but would eliminate the bent look. In fact, it should look very depth-filled on a standard TV screen.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to PatrickMcCart:
But....Around the World in Eighty Days needs smileboxing. Nearly all of the film was shot with the Todd-AO bugeye lens. Doing so would further enhance the film...I hope WB does this for the future DVD that is rumored. (2003, probably)
I agree, 80 Days would look great in Smilebox. Can't wait to see the DVD! :)
Have you ever seen a smilebox transfer of a film, Patrick? Or was the testing only used on Cinerama Adventure?
Thanks again!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Mark Anthony:
The Widescreen Museum quote was basically for the benefit of all - including me! :D
This stuff gets a little crazy sometimes! Marty Hart's Widescreen Museum is a great site for reference to technical stuff about Cinema. :emoji_thumbsup:
Even if a DVD's picture is 2.76:1, you can still (eek!) zoom in on the picture! :wink:
Thanks for the tip about the ISF calibrator, I'll check him out! :emoji_thumbsup:
Great stuff!
Gordy

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
To see some examples of three-strip Cinerama and Ultra Panavision:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff, Roland! :emoji_thumbsup:
So, is the DVD of Greatest Story Ever Told 2.76:1? Is there any bad cropping on the transfer?
Cheers!
Gordy

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Gordy,

The GSET on DVD is 2.76:1 and not cropped. You are seeing more information on the sides than the previous letterboxed transfer and missing nothing from the top or bottom.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
RolandL:
The GSET on DVD is 2.76:1 and not cropped. You are seeing more information on the sides than the previous letterboxed transfer and missing nothing from the top or bottom.
Wow! Really!? :) That's great. Now, I'm not a big fan of the film, but some of the shots in that film are amazing. Originally 260 minutes long too.
I bought the region 2 edition of Bondarchuk's Waterloo last week. Good transfer... for a 132 minute film on a single-layer DVD. Some print damage. Colours appear to be accurate. One thing I am 100% sure of though: it's has some of the best 35mm Panavision cinematography you'll ever see. The aerial shots of the diamond formations towards the end are pulverizing and the overall scope of the battles are, perhaps, unmatchable. If you thought that Saving Private Ryan was impressive...
Bondarchuk was one fearless son of a mother. :emoji_thumbsup:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Wow! Really!? That's great. Now, I'm not a big fan of the film, but some of the shots in that film are amazing. Originally 260 minutes long too.
It was never released at 260 minutes. The world premiere was 225 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks