65mm movies on DVD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

It's rare for a video master to made from a 65 or 70mm element, but it does happen. The Criterion Laserdisc (and DVD?) of Spartacus was transfered from a 65mm interpositive, right? 2.21:1 aspect ratio.
    The transfer for the Warner Bros. My Fair Lady is flawless... except for the tight vertical framing caused bt the 2.40:1 anamorphic 35mm scope reduction from the restored 65mm Super Panavision negative. I would have liked to have seen the original 2.21:1 ratio retained for the 35mm reduction and on the video master - just like the remastered edition of 2001: A Space Odyssey from Warner.
    Otto Preminger's Exodus is out in October. 207 minute version. Filmed in Super Panavision. I wonder how MGM made the transfer? Think it'll be 2.21:1?
    What ever happened to the Fall Of Of The Roman Empire DVD? 2.75:1?
    MGM's DVD of Khartoum, the last Ultra Panavision movie ever shot, was framed at 2.35:1. What was the transfer like?
    Thanks for reading. Answers will be greatfully recieved! [​IMG]
    Gordo

2. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think My Fair Lady required a tiny bit of cropping to hide splice lines.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

235 letterbox for Exodus? That is sick. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Tragic.
    Gordy

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    My Fair Lady was transferred from a specially produced 35mm interpositive reduction printed from the 65mm restoration negative in 2.21 aspect ratio.

RAH

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Not to be an jerk and disagree with you, Bob, but it looks like 2.40:1. It has much deeper letterboxing than a 2.21:1 transfer - like the 2001: A Space Odyssey transfer (what do you think of that transfer, by the way?). The top of the frame looks over cropped in certain scenes. It's a great transfer and you should be proud of the restoration you and Jim did. Stellar work! I'm just a picky Scotsman who looks to closely at the screen... which we invented, by the way! [​IMG] Heh heh heh!
    Keep watching the screens, Bob. [​IMG]
    Gordon Morrice (Amateur film historian)
    Aberdeen, Scotland

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Mr. Harris,
    Thank you again for saving "My Fair Lady"

8. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Robert, I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with Gordon. The DVD of MFL not only looks to be 2.35, it measures 2.35 as well.

Me thinks we've all been had by the telecine technician(s), who probably figured that since it was 35mm, it should be 2.35:1.

I even went so far as to measure clocks, wheels, grammaphone horns, and anything else that should be round to verify this.

Any other input from others who can measure the A.R. will be appreciated.

Ted

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I haven't rechecked MFL and remeasured, but the element was a 2.21:1 element.

Therefore, if it is on screen as 2.35-40, then it would have been cropped horizontally in transfer, and this would be totally incorrect.

I do know that WB went back and did a new anamorphic HiDef transfer from the 35 IP. This will take a bit of research, but I'll return with information.

Re: Gordon...

We're all aware that he was behind the original exposures of sun pictures, some of the most beautiful of the early photographic experiments...

and yes.

They were all created in Scotland.

RAH

10. Rain

Rain Producer

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I just measured the remastered 2001 DVD and I got 2.16:1 but it's hard to tell when measuring off a PC screen! :b
    I think it was as closely cropped as possible from the perforations - it shows more left and right than any 70mm presentations that I have seen and yes, Rain, it definately exposes MORE information at the top and a sliver more at the bottom! Man, I'm a geek - and I LOVE it! [​IMG]
    I love the transfer. And notice that the wires used to hold Bowman in space when he changes the AT-35 unit have been digitally erased for this DVD! [​IMG] or [​IMG]?
    Wouldn't mind a Criterion DVD of 2001 with some extras some day - and DTS. [​IMG]
    Robert Harris: I was just kidding about the "we invented TV" bit - the "we" should positively be interporated as meaning The Human Race - we're all one! [​IMG]
    Gordy

12. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Check out the Hello Dolly coming to DVD? post regarding new Todd-AO print produced this week by FOX

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Danny,
    DVDEmpire, DeepDiscountDVD, and CDNow list Exodus as "Video: Widescreen 2.35:1(Anamorphic)" in the product description. I sure hope MGM didn't screw up this release - sadly their own webpage doesn't list details. I've been waiting a long time for it. I'd wanted to purchase a Haganah Mauser to hold onto during screening of Exodus, but it looks like these are hard to find these days.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Re: MFL

It becomes more and more difficult to remember each and every detail of restorations as they sink into the past.

MFL was produced almost nine years ago, being released in 1994.

When my memory finally did synchronize with the facts, it works as follows:

The transfer to DVD is quite correct, and correct as wider than 2.21.

In creating the transfer element, we matted the sides and allowed splice lines to be in view at framelines.

The DVD, even moreso than the laserdisc, which was derived from the same element, exposes the left and right areas of the negative, which would have been covered by magnetic stripes on the 70mmm prints.

And hence the wider aspect ratio.

The top and bottom of the frame look proper.

RAH

15. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

16. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

17. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Robert Harris:

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The remastered WB DVD for 2001 utilized a newly made 65mm interpositive. Since a 65mm element was used, the full usable frame area is close to 2.13:1 (on 70mm, it would be 2.21:1).

Since Stanley Kubrick preferred maximum picture exposure, WHV simply didn't matte the image any.

I think the previous MGM DVD (also from 65mm) matted it very poorly. A lot of shots look off center.

19. Rain

Rain Producer

20. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

In reply to Peter Apruzzese:
    The week after the remastered DVD was released, someone at www.underviews.com
    e-mailed me two comparative screenshots from the old and new DVD and the wires were digitally erased for the DVD and the DVD only - the 65mm negative was untouched. It was probably done when the digital restoration (by Lowry Digital Images?) was done. They must have got a clearance from Kubrick's Estate or something...! :wink:
    What do you think of the transfer? I love it. But nothing beats a 70mm screening on a ridiculously large screen! [​IMG]
    I e-mailed Underviews.com and asked them for the screenshots. I'll re-check my old and new DVDs when I get back from the... pub, oh better do it now! :wink:
    Gordy