65h80-grayscale problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nestor_Ramos, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

My Toshiba 65H80 is about a month old. I've finally got the focus and convergence pretty much where I want them, but I'm noticing that the picture leans blue. Some of the blacks look a bit blue, and shadows especially are afflicted--the shadow beneath an actor's nose, for example. Also, areas of saturated blue seem to glow almost radioactively.
    Here are the tweaks I've performed:
    -Disabled SVM
    -Mechanical and Electronic Focus
    -Geometry and Convergence adjustments through service menu/service convergence grid
    Could this be a case of the Blue gun being too unfocused, and thus outputting more light than the red/green guns? Convergence is as good as I can get it, so I don't think that's the problem. I fear this is a grayscale problem. If this is the case, is there anyway I can fix it myself?
    Thanks,
    Nestor

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    You think too much. [​IMG]
    For a DIY'er ... just reduce the BCUT a few notches and see what happens. You are effectively eyeballing your own grayscale.
    Conversely, boost both the RCUT and GCUT and see what happens.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on July 10, 2001 at 02:14 PM]

3. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

Michael, I was hoping you'd reply. Thanks.

4. Bill Broderick

PLEASE write down the intial settngs of these controls BEFORE making any adjustments. This way if you completely screw things up, you can set them back to where you started.
    ------------------

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If you have Avia or Video Essentials (I'd recommend getting one of them...they can be extremely helpful in narrowing down causes of problems), check the color decoder test pattern. See if blue is oversaturated at all in relation to red and green. Also, when you change the BCUT values as Michael suggested, bring up the greyscale test patterns...the 10 step IRE patterns are good but the windowed patterns are probably best since they avoid any possible tint on the sides of the screen interfering. If it's really too blue, your eyes should be able to see it.
    good luck,
    --tom