$650 System - Few Simple Last Questions (Non-HTiB)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobSB, Dec 14, 2003.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Alright, I think I have decided what to go with for my home theater system. It will be for my living room, which is 15'x25', and will be used 99% of the time for home theater (movies/DirecTV).

Fluance SX-HTB
    Dayton 10" from partsexpress
    H/K AVR-225 refurb from pcmall

Total is around $650. I'm going to get this 12 gauge wire from Home Depot (sorry for the long link) - http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...2%2fElectrical

I may use the H/K's EZ setup thing initially, and then go with DVE and a Radioshack SPL meter later on. But anyway, how does that system look?

My only question is about the receiver. Would I be ok with the AVR-125?

Thanks for your input.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Looks hard to beat in the price range. You should be very happy. All the equipment you've picked out is pretty tough to beat without spending noticably more.

The 125 would most likely do the job well enough but the Fluances aren't overly efficient, so all the power you can get will help. Either will provide enough, but a little more headrom in the 225 would help and the price difference isn't huge. The 125 also lacks EZSetup right? I could be wrong about that.

Either way you'll be very happy, until the upgrade bug hits [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun!

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I have the avr125 with the sx-htb and Dayton 10" sub and there's no problem with power output from the 125. There's a little more power that comes from the 225 and the ezset feature isn't included on the 125 so you'll have to buy the SPL meter.
    I see you've done your homework. Pcmall is a H/K authorized dealer.
    I bought my 125 from Etronics and apparently it's not an authorized dealer and yet Etronics the last time I checked was selling 40 different products made by H/K so I don't know what to make of this authorized dealer stuff?
    If you go with this setup you'll be pleased with what you got for so little.
    Ian

4. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Another question..

The Pioneer 912K also looks like a good receiver. I know it probably won't have as much power, but it seems to have better features. Any comments? Any comments on any other receivers? Are the "features" just gimmicks?

Also, a couple of wire questions..

1. Will I need banana plugs for my speakers?
    2. Which Home Depot wire is the good 12g speaker wire?

Quick responses are appreciated as I would like to buy this thing tonight (parents in a good mood). [​IMG]

5. kehi

kehi Agent

1. No not really but they are a good investment in my opinion.

2. I would go for the Sound King wire at PartsExpress

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

A receiver depends alot on your listening habits. H/K's and Marantz are warm receivers therefore they're good for listening to music. Pioneer and Onkyo are more in the middle and Yamaha are Bright receivers good for listening to HT but not so much for music. The mains on the sx-htb accept banana plugs or regular connections. I personally don't think it makes any difference.
    12 gauge wiring from any renovation center is fine as long as it's for speakers, (the air is removed in the manufacturing to prevent corrosion.)