What's new

65" Sony XBR Projection "Normal Mode" (1 Viewer)

Chuck Halverson

Auditioning
I am new to the forum. Great to be here.

I just bought a 65" Sony XBR and have a general question.
I have this tendancy to be afraid to watch anything in Normal mode because I hear about the screen burning from the grey side bars. I would like to watch certain things in this mode like Simpsons and Disney shorts.

Any input would be great.

Chuck Halverson

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you've taken the time to properly calibrate the picture using a disc like Avia or the new Digital Video Essentials, you shouldn't have to worry about burn-in issues from watching material in "normal" mode (unless you do that 24 hours a day for a few months...)

-Jason

Chuck Halverson

Auditioning
Thanks for the tip. I stay out of normal mode as much as I can anyway because I dont care about utilizing just part of the screen. I never buy any discs full frame unless I have no choice.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Chuck,

Could you possibly post the exact model number of your new Sony 65" XBR??

If it's called a "Grand Wega" it is an LCD based set, not crt, and is not subject to burn in.

I'm pretty sure that all current model Sony XBR series rptvs are "Grand Wega" LCD based sets. The WS and WV series Sony rptvs are still crt based, but I'm almost sure that all XBR sets are now LCD.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
That is a crt based set, so it is subject to burn in if you run contrast too high and leave sationary pics on it for extended periods of time.

Get the AVIA or VE disc and calibrate it, be sure to set contrast (or Picture on a Sony) to less than 40%, and vary what you watch on it.

I've had a Sony KP57hw40 crt based widescreen rptv for 2 years now, set up with contrast at 40% max and I watch a variety of aspect ratios with and without gray bars, sometimes even with black bars, and have had no burn in at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks