6400 cu. ft. : Sub recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Boston, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

Newbie needs help. I am in the market for a new subwoofer and I could really use some recommendations. My HT/living room is about 16x16, but, I have vaulted ceilings averaging about 25'. Since this is an apartment, I would prefer a sub that is on the smaller side for space purposes. Ideally, I'd like to spend as close to $1000 as possible, but would not rule out solid options above this limit.

My biggest question ...

* Will the height of my ceilings degregate the bass response in a big way ???

One last piece of information ... as I do have neighbors on each side of me, I need to be somewhat aware of knocking things off their walls (if you know what I mean). With that said, I would prefer something that does not "rock the house", but still provides good low bass.

So, any recommendations ??? I also would love to hear about general speaker experiences from those who have higher/vaulted ceilings in the HT room.

Thanks.

2. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

I have a large open room with about a 16 foot vaulted ceiling. And the room is open on 2 sides to large florida rooms. I recently got a SVS 25-31 pci plus. It is awesome. The cylinder does not take up too much floor space (although it is tall--37 inches?) But it has great sound and accuracy. It may drive your neighbors to kill you though--I think you may have this problem with any sub that fills that large space--in an apartment.

3. Jeff_PxR

This from another thread about the SVS:

I have the 25-31PC+ in a 5000+sq ft room (20x15 w/ 20 ft. vaulted ceiling) and it's impressive to say the least. I have it tuned to 20Hz, and it hits hard and deep. But now you have me curious, I think I'm going to try the 25Hz tune and see how I like it.

Regards,

4. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    Isn't the 25-31PCi 31 inches tall? I thought the "25" was the tuning and the "31" the height.

Thanks, Mitch

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Mitch, they will tune it down to 16hz fyi[​IMG] The svs is about 32.5 inches tall...I had the 2039pci, and it kicked ass...I am moving to a room that is a bit over 4k cubic feet...so I had that urge to move up...now to place my order...svs rocks...that's a fact! tom

6. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply's and shared experiences ...

TommyL: Thanks for the e-mail info. for SVS. I will e-mail them in the coming days.

Regards,
    Bill

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Your welcome...I would take his response, and risk(although not a risk[​IMG] the shipping charge just to hear one...I bet ya keep it[​IMG] goodluck! tom

8. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

I second the recommendation to email Tom. He will give you honest advice based on your needs. If you don't want a cylinder I'd recommend talking to Kyle at Acoustic Visions and see what he can build for you. A custom built job is always good because it can be tailored to your every need.

9. Jeff_PxR

yes I just measured--about 32 1/2 inches tall.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You can have a 25-31PCi retuned to 22hz (SVS puts a longer port in it). You can change the tuning in a 25-31PC+ by plugging ports. Plug one you drop to 20hz, plug two you drop to 16hz. But remember, plugging ports removes port cross sectional area which will hamper the output capabilities of the sub.

I don't know if you can get a 25-31PC+ with longer ports or not (lower tune with all three ports open), you'll have to ask SVS on that one.

11. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

I have a large room 25x27x10ft I went with a SVS 20-39 PC+
    I talked to Tom about it some, they actually recommended the 25-31 to get a higher SPL for such a large room. Since I plan on going dual eventually, I went ahead and got the 20-39 to hit the lower frequencies. My roommate and I have both enjoyed it very much, and it really can shake things up if i try.

Murdock

12. Michael Bailey

Michael Bailey Stunt Coordinator

My room is only ~3000cu ft (17 x 20 x 9 ft) but I put in dual SVS CS ultras with a Crown K1. Those babies really rip up the floor on the U571 depth charge attack at reference level!