What's new

63rd Primetime Emmy Awards (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hurray for all the Downton Abbey wins.. such a fantastic series. I found it late, but it was good to see Maggie Smith & the series get some love

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Things that made me happy: - Julie Bowen winning Best Supporting Actress. Her work on "Modern Family" is really underrated. She hits exactly the right note every beat in a role that is a constant tightrope walk to avoid coming across as unlikable. - Ty Burrell winning Best Supporting Actor. If Nick Offerman had been nominated, it might have been a different story, but Burrell had a stellar season as MVP in a stellar cast. Would have also been happy with Ed O'Neill. Mainly I'm happy it wasn't Chris Colfer, who gave an incredibly self-indulgent performance in a role that became more martyr-esque by the episode. - Peter Dinklage winning Best Supporting Actor, Drama. I've been a big fan of his for a while now. He had both his height and the genre of his show working against him, but the most buzzed about performance of the year was very justly rewarded. And I'm a big fan of Josh Charles, Alan Cumming and Andre Braugher -- all of whom did terrific work last season. - Maggie Smith winning Best Supporting Actress, miniseries. Just love her. - Julianna Margulies winning Best Actress. They lynchpin for the greatest show on broadcast television. I know a lot of people were rooting for Connie Britton, but I was in Margulies's corner all the way. - Kyle Chandler winning Best Actor, Drama. I don't even watch FNL, but I was rooting for him anyway. I hope Hugh Laurie has a great season this year on "House", because he definitely deserves an Emmy for that role, but not for last season, easily the weakest yet. - Steve Levitan and Jeffrey Richman, Comedy Series Writing. Of the nominated episodes, none made me laugh harder than "Caught in the Act" for Modern Family. Would have also been happy with Greg Daniels winning for Steve Carrell's send-off, but I was happier with this result. - Jason Katims, Drama Series Writing. He's just terrific. Things that made me go, "ugh.": - "Mad Man" winning Best Drama Series. Really? The show's weakest season yet against the best show currently on television ("The Good Wife") and the last chance to honor what some would argue is the best show of all time ("Friday Night Lights.")? - "Modern Family" winning Best Comedy Series. Love the show, loved the acceptance speech, but really wanted "Parks & Rec" to bring it home.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
If Nick Offerman had been nominated, it might have been a different story
It's a crime that he wasn't even nominated in that category, but yet all 4 males from Modern Family received nods. Only Burrell and Stonestreet should have been nominated IMHO and as funny as they are, they still don't make me laugh as hard as Ron Swanson.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Completely delighted with the wins for Downton Abbey and Modern Family, every one of them deserving, I thought. I've always thought Peter Dinklage was a superlative actor and have liked him in everything I've seen him do, but I was pulling for Alan Cumming. I also would have rejoiced if The Good Wife had managed the Best Drama Series win.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they aired this against the Falcons/Eagles game last night, I totally forgot about the Emmys (not that I really put much stock in them anymore given the history of winners in the recent past). Then again, most of these 'wins" aren't about a season's worth of work, but for individual episodes, which is a weird way to judge candidates on shows that run 13-26 episodes (for typical network TV, less for other cable/premium channel networks), but that's just me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Then again, most of these 'wins" aren't about a season's worth of work, but for individual episodes, which is a weird way to judge candidates on shows that run 13-26 episodes (for typical network TV, less for other cable/premium channel networks), but that's just me.
It's not just you. I realize it's basically impossible for voters to watch 13 or 22 episodes of so many series but they should have to see more than a small sampling (around 10% or 15%) of a person's work from a season if they're giving an award for the year. I mean Oscar voters see more than 10% or 15% of a movie before voting. Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks