What's new

63rd Primetime Emmy Awards (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nominations are in: Comedy Series The Big Bang Theory Glee Modern Family The Office Parks and Recreation 30 Rock Drama Series Boardwalk Empire Dexter Friday Night Lights Game of Thrones The Good Wife Mad Men Lead Actress in a Comedy Laura Linney, The Big C Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope Tina Fey, 30 Rock Lead Actor in a Comedy Matt LeBlanc, Episodes Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory Steve Carell, The Office Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory Louis C.K., Louie Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock Lead Actor in a Drama Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire Michael C. Hall, Dexter Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights Jon Hamm, Mad Men Hugh Laurie, House Timothy Olyphant, Justified Lead Actress in a Drama Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU Mireille Enos, The Killing Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law Supporting Actor in a Comedy Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men Chris Colfer, Glee Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family Ed O’Neill, Modern Family Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family Ty Burrell, Modern Family Supporting Actor in a Drama John Slattery, Mad Men Andre Braugher, Men of a Certain Age Walton Goggins, Justified Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones Josh Charles, The Good Wife Alan Cumming, The Good Wife Supporting Actress in a Comedy Jane Lynch, Glee Betty White, Hot in Cleveland Julie Bowen, Modern Family Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock Sofia Vergara, Modern Family Supporting Actress in a Drama Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire Christina Hendricks, Mad Men Michelle Forbes, The Killing Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife Margo Martindale, Justified Mini-series or Made-for-Television Movie Cinema Verite Downton Abbey The Kennedys Mildred Pierce The Pillars Of The Earth Too Big To Fail Variety, Music or Comedy Series The Colbert Report Conan The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Late Night With Jimmy Fallon Real Time With Bill Maher Saturday Night Live Lead Actor in a Mini-Series or movie Edgar Ramirez, Carlos Greg Kinnear, The Kennedys Barry Pepper, The Kennedys Idris Elba, Luther Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood William Hurt, Too Big To Fail Lead Actress in a Mini-Series or movie Diane Lane, Cinema Verite Elizabeth McGovern , Downton Abbey Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce Taraji P. Henson, Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story Jean Marsh, Upstairs Downstairs Host of a Reality Program or Competition Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race Ryan Seacrest, American Idol Tom Bergeron, Dancing With The Stars Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Jeff Probst, Survivor

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Things that make me happy: "Parks & Recreation" for best comedy; "The Good Wife" for best drama; Martha Plimpton for best lead actress comedy; Julianna Margulies for best lead actress drama; Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Eric Stonestreet, Ty Burrell and especially Ed O’Neill for best supporting actor comedy; Alan Cumming for best supporting actor drama; Julie Bowen for best supporting actress comedy; Archie Panjabi for best supporting actress drama. Things that disappoint: "The Office" and "30 Rock" nominated again over more deserving comedy series like "Raising Hope; Jon Cryer nominated again over more deserving supporting comedy performances like Garret Dillahunt; no supporting actress drama nod for Mae Whitman Overall, the things that made me happy way outweighed the things that disappointed this go-round. Of course, the Emmys being the Emmys, the safest and most tired of the nominees will end up winning the prize.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Happy to see Martindale and Olyphant for Justified. Happy to see Dinklage for Supporting Actor for Game of Thrones. Only halfway through S1 of Boardwalk Empire, so I can't judge that show yet (I like what I've seen so far).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
A lot of love for Modern Family, with the latter having all the adult cast members getting a nomination. And rightfully so, as that show is great. I guess it was too hard to pick just 1 or 2, so why not pick them all?

Glad to see Justified get some nominations, but not so much for Sons of Anarchy getting completely shut out.

I don't recall, but is this the first time where some categories got expanded to 6 slots, while others still have only 5?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
A lot of love for Modern Family, with the latter having all the adult cast members getting a nomination. And rightfully so, as that show is great. I guess it was too hard to pick just 1 or 2, so why not pick them all?
Yeah, it says a lot about the quality of TV this past season that there are several categories I'd like to put people into but would have trouble tossing one of the existing nominees out. In supporting actor comedy, Jon Cryer is the obvious one to toss out. I'd give Garret Dillahunt his slot, but that still leaves VERY worthy performances from real talents like Nick Offerman and Chris Pratt out in the cold. An embarrassment of riches in some categories.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Nothing for Shameless? You've got to be kidding me! That had some of the best performances I've seen in years. Every single member of the cast deserves not only a nomination but to win. Matt LeBlanc was better than William H. Macy? I think not and Emmy Rossum's performance was nothing short of incredible and she could act circles around Melissa McCarthy. What a huge letdown. No love for Craig Ferguson either. He's really pushing the late night envelope with The Late Late Show and manages to always pull off a funny show with the worst set in late night, zero money and no teleprompter. I like Jimmy Fallon but I think Craig is more deserving of a nomination. Not that it matters anyway since The Daily Show will win again, even though that show has really gone downhill the past while. I watched the show for years but gave up on it 4 or 5 months ago. I used to think Colbert paled in comparison but he's really raised his game this last year and I would like to see him beat out Jon for once. Bah! Award shows are all bullshit! (unless the things I like are nominated, then they're great. :D)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So I take it this means Breaking Bad wasn't eligible this year given their lack of a single nomination?

Some very puzzling actor selections. I think I was one of the 2 people out there than enjoyed 'The Killing' thoroughly, but Mireille Enos?

Never got the Christina Hendricks hype (as an actress).

Agree that it doesn't make sense Shameless isn't in every category.

Not sure how the best comedy of all time...'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' never gets any love. I guess it's too raunchy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the biggest thing that hurt Shameless is that it doesn't fit neatly into the drama or comedy categories. It's hard to decide where to submit. I do agree that Emmy Rossum gave one of the best performances of the year. She could have taken the Tina Fey slot in the comedy category or the Mariska Hargitay slot in the drama category and I'd have been thrilled either way.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
ChadMcCallum said:
No love for Craig Ferguson either. He's really pushing the late night envelope with The Late Late Show and manages to always pull off a funny show with the worst set in late night, zero money and no teleprompter. I like Jimmy Fallon but I think Craig is more deserving of a nomination.
I would have tossed out Conan and replaced it with Ferguson. Both Fallon and Ferguson have been far better than Conon which has really gone downhill.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ScottH said:
So I take it this means Breaking Bad wasn't eligible this year given their lack of a single nomination?
Yep. It's not a fair world so Parks And Recreation will be robbed of its much deserved Emmy. Not that I'm surprised but it's pathetic that Treme couldn't even get a nomination when it deserves to win. All the worse when you look at most of the dramas that did get a nomination aren't particularly good and are even worse when you compare them to something like Treme. On the positive side, it's great to see the wonderful Michelle Forbes get a nomination. And I said it back when it aired but the episode of Mad Men called The Suitcase is what will win the show, Hamm and Moss the Emmy this year.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by TravisR

And I said it back when it aired but the episode of Mad Men called The Suitcase is what will win the show, Hamm and Moss the Emmy this year.

I'm currently in the middle of season 4 right now and ironically that episode is next for me to watch.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The lack of nominations for Shameless is, frankly, shameful. I don't know what went on there.. but Rossum and Macy turned in fantastic performances that stood out. That's my one big dislike.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad to see some recognition for "Raising Hope" with Martha Plimpton's nom. I think nominating the entire cast of "Modern Family" is a bit much, though. I think only Eric Stonestreet consistently delivers a performance that's Emmy-worthy.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

The lack of nominations for Shameless is, frankly, shameful. I don't know what went on there.. but Rossum and Macy turned in fantastic performances that stood out. That's my one big dislike.

I don't know if you could argue against any of the actors on that show being nominated other than maybe the youngest son. Besides the whole Gallagher family and Steve, you have Joan Cusack, her daughter on the show, and even the neighbor couple.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
And here are the winners - chosen by me! :P let's see if the Emmy voters agree... :D (and for some categories I know too few shows to comment so I'll leave 'em out) Comedy Series Modern Family Drama Series Game of Thrones Lead Actor in a Comedy Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory Lead Actor in a Drama Timothy Olyphant, Justified Lead Actress in a Drama Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife Supporting Actor in a Comedy Ed O’Neill, Modern Family Supporting Actor in a Drama Josh Charles, The Good Wife Supporting Actress in a Comedy Jane Lynch, Glee Supporting Actress in a Drama Margo Martindale, Justified Mini-series or Made-for-Television Movie The Pillars Of The Earth Lead Actor in a Mini-Series or movie Idris Elba, Luther Lead Actress in a Mini-Series or movie Jean Marsh, Upstairs Downstairs btw... no Emmy love for V???:confused: :P :D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I do feel bad for David Simon.. while Treme isn't The Wire, such a great show runner seems to always get no cred.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very disappointed John Noble once again got overlooked for Fringe. As much as I love The Good Wife (and think it should win Best Drama), I would have placed John Noble ahead of Josh Charles or possibly ahead of John Slattery's Mad Men nomination.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by MattH.

Very disappointed John Noble once again got overlooked for Fringe. As much as I love The Good Wife (and think it should win Best Drama), I would have placed John Noble ahead of Josh Charles or possibly ahead of John Slattery's Mad Men nomination.

See, I think Slattery is the most deserving of all the Mad Men cast members, even above Hamm. He's so natural in that role. Hamm is good...Slattery is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks