What's new

60s-70s artists - recommendations (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
Actually, it doesn't have to be 60s/70s but "available as a used LP" is the key. The Gloria Estefan/MSM I got was 1989. I generally prefer 70s artists but people like Santana (also his last two collaborative albums are available on vinyl for too much; I did get the Santana f Michelle Branch single on 45 for $3 at FastHitsMusic.com) had releases in the 80's which I'm sure are great.

The recent 180g/200g audiophile pressing from Classic Records aren't going to make it into the used vinyl circuit for awhile. Although, I would like to compare Norah Jones Come Away with Me on CD, SACD and 200g vinyl - but there's no way I'm paying $30 for a record.

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks
Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit
As far as Simon and Garfunkle, I've never heard the CD of their work that can hold a candle to the warmth/depth of their vinyl recordings, so good choice. Which recording did you get?
I have to agree with this. But I tried a WAV capture from the LP and it sounded closer to the record than my (Best of) CD so the issue could be the mastering. For S&G I picked up "Sounds of Silence", "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" and "Greatest Hits".

The link below lists everthing I got for about the price of a CD at Best Buy. At this price point I can really explore. A really well-recorded album I've found is Carole King's "Tapestry"

http://members.fortunecity.com/sathy...ueryVinyl.html

-Sathyan

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd second the suggestion of Savoy Brown. I like the ones with vocalist Chris Yolden the most. RAW SIENA is fantastic, BLUE MATTER (has Lonesome Dave on vocals on side 2's live recording) & A STEP FURTHER are very nice too.

Thunderclap Newman's HOLLYWOOD DREAM is an offbeat sounding, but intresting marriage of honky tonk piano and light rock. Something In The Air was a minor hit and deserved better.

Maybe try some Leon Russell...? STOP ALL THAT JAZZ is terrific. UP ON THE TIGHTROPE is proably his most popular and one of his better efforts.

If you see Dr. John's IN THE RIGHT PLACE or DESITIVELY BONNAROO jump on them. The Meters are his back-up band on these two. This are two awfully good albums.

FIRE AND WATER by Free is a must have and the CD I've heard of it sucks really bad. Crazy Horse's self-titled was their ultimate album because Nils Lofgren, Jack Nitsche, and Ry Cooder joined in.

Marc Benno's AMBUSH and LOST IN AUSTIN are terrific albums lost in the age of vinyl. I know LOST IN AUSTIN has been available on Japanese CD though. Can you say funky, blue-eyed teaxas R & B sounding? If you look these up. MINNOWS is pretty fair too.

The Meters...hmnn, if you like the Allman Brothers' sound, I guarantee, in fact I know, hearing The Meters was a revalation to them. Cissy Strut, a minor instumental hit they had, really inspired the Brothers. Hear it and see why. The Meters was the Stones fav band. They use to fly them in on a private jet to where their party was and pay them $50,000 for the gig. They were a very influential band. The Charley R & B labels discs were pressed way above average IMO.

Arthur Lee's group Love from L.A. is a must seek. FOREVER CHANGES is one of the psycedelic era's very best. S/T and SEVEN AND SEVEN are pretty good too.

Spirit's THE TWELVE DREAMS OF DR. SARDONICUS is one of their best. It's one of the first abums to feature moog synthesizer, only on 1 or 2 tracks. Randy Kalifornia's guitar is a fav of mine. THE FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER is a close second.

Ge, I could go on and on....:D my memory is too good.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Rachael,

Thank you for mentioning Love and Spirit. The two you mentioned ARE their best albums imo. Being an oldster, had the pleasure of seeing both groups at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Love right after their first release and Spirit in their final concert. From Sathyan's list so far, Forever changes might be right up his alley with it's accoustic brilliance and its sometimes insanely great lyrics. I put it right up there with other classic albums at the time.

A side note on the Spirit concert: It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen and was more memorable when Randy California and Neil Young got into a huge scuffle on stage. Neil had walked out with his guitar and started taking over singing the songs, which California apparantly didn't like at all. They started pushing each other around, with California trying to manhandle Young off stage. Other members of Spirit restrained California, at which point Young walked back up to the mike and started trying to be Otis Redding up there at the mike, singing like I've never heard him otherwise. Ah, the memories.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Di nada Dana!:) I never had the good fortune to hear either live. They stayed away from hillbilly country. I never noticed them to be available when I was in or when I lived in N.Y.C. I did see Quicksilver Messenger Service @ the Academy of Music twice, N.Y.C. Alot of west coast music didn't filter into Tennessee 2 much way back when. I saw the Grateful Dead for the first time in N.Y.C. 2.
I really, really wish I could of seen Spirit the most. I have all those late platters by them like FARTHER ALONG, KHAHUNA DREAM, and POTATOE LAND. I saw Jay with Jo Jo Gunne at a festival once. I can't remember which one! They did MR. SKIN and few other Spirit #'s. That was good but Spirit would of been better. Go Kaptain Kopter!

I'm trying to throw out stuff that's less remembered...and needs remembering IMO. Best wishes! :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest:

The Velvet Underground - Loaded
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

I would also second (third?) Joni Mitchell's Blue,
And perhaps throw in Astral Weeks, by Van Morrison.

Happy listening!

Jon

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Considering Sathyan's taste for jazz, I can't believe no one has yet suggested Steely Dan, the quintessential jazz-rock masters. Excellent, clever lyrics (even when they're obscure), endlessly interesting arrangements, and fantastic playing (especially on their later albums). They get a bad rap sometimes for being too "smooth;" I guess it just depends on how much appreciation you have for perfectionism and polish. Personally, I love it.

You should be able to find pretty much everything from their 70s catalog cheap on vinyl. These will be flimsy domestic pressings, but I've heard some that sound pretty good.

In my opinion, all of these albums are classics, but if I had to choose, from their earlier works I'd recommend Pretzel Logic, and from their later stuff (pre-Two Against Nature, that is), I'd pick Aja.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band!
Usually tops the lists of great bands that didn't make it Big Time.
...Paul McCartney under the name Apollo C Vermouth wrote their one hit "Im the urban spaceman"

Sort of 1920s english dancehall music on acid
They ask the eternal question, "Can blue men get the whites?"

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Here are some of my suggestions:

Gallery. Gallery only had one album which is called Nice to Be With You .

Friend And Lover. Friend And Lover's album is called Reach Out of the Darkness.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No mention of Roy Orbison??

I only have 1 CD of Roy, but this is the one everyone recommends: For The Lonely: 18 Greatest Hits. This CD is on Rhino Records, before it became a part of Warner Bros. All the hits are here:

Up Town
Only The Lonely (Know How I Feel)
Running Scared
Crying
Dream Baby
Workin' For The Man
Blue Bayou

and of course....Oh, Pretty Woman

BobK

Grip
A Classic masterpiece not mentioned is Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything? A fantastick album from the early 1970's. I'd rate this one :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diaboliqstudios
Recent bookmarks