60hz or 80hz Setting

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel G, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Daniel G

Daniel G Extra

Hey all,

I have an HT AVR 520 with Infinity Entra speakers all around. The HK has settings for small (80 or 100hz) or big (40 or 60hz). The Entra One's are rates to 60hz. The Center Two is rated to 80hz. What setting would you recommend? I currently have it set to 80hz with my sub sliding at the same freq.

The AVR 525 would have been nice because you can select by speaker, not by mode. It is our pursuit of "betterness" that will either drive us mad or make us a king. I am leaning towards madness.

Thanks.

Dan.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Leave it @ 80 Hz (assuming that the Center really extends down to 80 Hz) and turn off your sub's x-over so it won't interfere with the HK x-over.

Home Theater Magazine objective test proved that the sub's x-over dialed @ or near the AV REV/AMP x-over created a -10 dB or more dip. Turning-off the sub's x-over put the transition back to within ±3 dB blend.

NOTE: If you cannot turn-off your subwoofer's crossover, then dial that knob to its MAX position.

Phil

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dan,

I have the AVR520, and recently picked-up two pair of IL10s, and a pair of IL30s, from HarmanAudio. The Interlude series is probably closer to the Alphas, than the Entras, though. I have been running mine with the 60Hz setting. I would suggest you try both settings and listen to your favorite DVDs, and see if you can detect any difference, and if so, go with what you think sounds better. For movies, and center channel clarity, the 80Hz setting might be better. I like the 60Hz setting because it blends better with my sub for music. Your room, sub, and speaker location all come into play here, not just the pure speaker specs. Speaker specs are like most amplifier specs, not all that reliable. You might even try the 100Hz setting if your sub is located between your L and R speakers.

JohnS

4. Daniel G

Daniel G Extra

I took the advice of the board and turned my sub x-over all the way to 150hz and let the HK do the crossover. I turned off the Center during Stereo or 5-way Stereo mode and set the x-over to 60hz instead of 80hz.

I like the sound much better. Much fuller. Bass drum, etc. fills in much better.

Can you harm your speakers by setting the x-over AT the threshold of your freq. range? I don't know the x-over order, i.e., 3rd, 4th, etc. to determine how fast the drop-off is.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Daniel G

Daniel G Extra

I changed my sub x-over to the max. What a difference. I originally set my sub x-over to match the receiver sub x-over point.

Thanks for the tip.

Dan.