What's new

60Hz/50Hz (1 Viewer)

Martin Evans

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me the effect of running a 60Hz DVD player at 50 Hz? Will the drive run slower or is there a more sophisticated system than just a straight AC motor?

Paul_H

Grip
Well since I am guessing your DVD player like most consumer electronics has a switching power supply it will probably work fine. This web site explains how they work better than I could. On the other hand there is a chance you could damage/destroy the device. The manufacturer should list on the back the specific input voltages and frequencies. They try to sell many of the same electronics worldwide so if 50Hz is not listed within the tolerances I would hesitate.
Paul

Brandon B

Second Unit
I ran a magnavox philips DVD unit explicitly labelled as 120 VAC 60 Hz in Japan with a transformer, so it was at 120 VAC 50 Hz, for year and a half with no problem. This was a entry level $199 USA model unit from 1999, not a high end piece or anything. I also ran several other devices labelled 60 Hz (american Nintendo 64, etc.)
My feeling is most of these type devices convert the power to DC almost immediately, and you PROBABLY will have no problem. Someone with more background into the types of motors used in DVD players might prove me wrong though.
If this is a Japanese mfr, however, your likely safe. Japan has both 50 and 60 Hz power, so even their domestic models are 50/60 Hz, and it seems unlikely they'd got to the extra engineering to make a 60 Hz only model.
BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks