What's new

$600 Subwoofer Shoot-Out: SVS PB1-ISD vs. Hsu STF-3 – Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

In order for the woofer to really benefit from an increase in additional port area, some significant port compression would need to be occuring in the existing product.

SVS never felt the single 4" flared port was inadequate for the ISD woofer, so I really doubt there will be any huge output increase across most of the pass band.

However, the native tune for the PB12-ISDv is deeper than the PB12-ISD, so you might see a more significant increase in clean output in the 18-22 Hz region. Again, this would be more a result of the deeper tuning point than it would be from any increase in port area per se.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Well, that's the frequency range where the PB1-ISD could use the boost the most. :)
Right where there are very powerful bass peaks in some of more intense action movies on DVD.
This should make for a significant improvement in performance when it really counts.

What would be your guess on how many more dB's in the 18-22Hz range?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Down to about 23 Hz the PB12-ISD should basically hold its own against the PB12-ISDv. Below 23 Hz, the PB12-ISDv will exhibit a progressively greater advantage; I'd estimate 1-4 dB (with 4 dB being at 18 Hz). So you might see an "average" increase of 2-3 dB in the 18-22 Hz region.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Edward,

I just found your masterful original review on the SVS website tonight...wow!

Just wondering, have you ever thought of doing a comparison between dirt cheap entry level subwoofers?

I was thinking these:

1. Dayton 10" ($143 shipped from partsexpress.com)
2. JBL e150 ($200 shipped from jandr.com)
3. Hsu STF-1 ($311 shipped from ascendacoustics.com)
4. SVS PB10-ISD ($429 shipped from svsubwoofers.com)

I'd be curious as to what tangible improvements are noticeable as one moves from #1 to #4.

Think of it as a public service for us POOR FOLK! :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Hi Eddie:

Well, I already reviewed the STF-2 and the PB10-ISD; the reviews are hotlinked in my signature block.

I heard the STF-1 at CES 2005 and was impressed with the output and SQ; if $300 is the absolute budget limit, I would lean toward that model.

I haven't heard the Dayton, but enough people praise that model, and the price is so low, that there is little risk in purchasing one.

Wayne Pflughaupt recently reviewed some brick and mortar competitors to the PB10-ISD, and his excellent write-up is right here at HTF and linked in his signature block.

The nice thing about my objective data is that every subwoofer (starting with the STF-2 actually) gets tested outside under the same conditions, so the data sets are always comparable, no matter when the subwoofer gets reviewed. So a "shoot-out" really isn't needed to objectively compare two subwoofers, even if they were reviewed two years apart.

My plan with Secrets was to try and review a cross-section of products from brick and mortar, audio salons/dealers, and internet direct. The reason the average price is higher with the subwoofers I review is because higher price = higher risk; buyers are far more cautious about purchases in the $600-$2,000 than they are in the $100-$300 range. So they always ask for reviews of the higher priced models. :)

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,

Don't you think the PB-12/v might perform better than that? I mean it seems kind of a waste to release a new subwoofer if it only improves on the older model by a couple of dB at 20 Hz.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Eddie, hi, first of all, I don't think that $429 from SVS includes shipping. am I wrong?

second, if you are looking to purchase a sub and these are the ones that get your attention right now, may I suggest you consider the Klipsch KSW-10, available at Costco for $199. add local sales tax to this and if you are not currently a member, you would need to join for $35, but they have some great A/V deals from time to time.

just a suggestion...

eddieZEN

Second Unit
No, the $429 probably doesn't.

Thanks for the Klipsch tip, I'm not crazy about their speakers but have heard a few good things about their subs. Nice thing about costco is the return policy.

However, the last time I was at my local costco I don't remember them carrying any standalone subs at all.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Well when you consider that dual colocated subwoofers adds 6 dB, it puts things in better perspective. Remember, the woofer is the same, the enclosure is a bit bigger, and the tuning point is lower, with a bit more port area. So don't expect the PB12-ISDv to outperform the PB12-Plus or anything, but it should offer a nice bump in performance down deep over the PB12-ISD.

You will see the PB12-ISDv starting to exhibit a progressively larger advantage as the frequency drops. While I tend to be conservative, the clean output advantage over the PB12-ISD might very well be 4-5 dB at 18 Hz, which is quite significant - almost worth a second subwoofer. :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Ed, have you had a chance to test the PB1-ISDv yet to confirm that estimate of increased performance? :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, no I haven't; it's not slated for a Secrets review. I would ping TV directly; he'll give you the straight scoop on the differences between the two.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks