$600 or less subwoofer amp for B4+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Im thinkin about gettin a B4, but tryin to stay at around $3,000 not including shipping. I was thinkin to spend $600 at the most and i need suggestions on the most powerful amp i can get for the price, even used.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Go to Ebay and type in Mackie M2600. There is some guy selling a load of them for about $500. I think this amp would be great, but you might e-mail SVS and check with them too.

EDIT: Sorry the M2600 does not have 1/4" jacks. Look at the Mackie M1400i which is less expensive, but still has lots of power.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

5. Allen Marshall

Wow, you guys are really speaking my language here.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Yes, the Behringer is supposed to be one kick ass amp. A member posted a review in the DIY Forum a few months ago.

Also, 123dj is not an authorized dealer for QSC so buy at your own risk.

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

The Behringer EP2500 is $349.99 at Zzounds.com with free shipping.

Zzounds.com also has a Crown CE2000 factory resealed for $549.95 with free shipping.

QSC RMX2450 Power Amplifier is $599.95 with free shipping.

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Power-Amps--2747

8. Allen Marshall

are these amps just for subwoofers or do they work with stereo speakers to cause jeez, i had no idea you could get that kind of power for that price.

Is there anything else i can get, i mean that behringer amp looks great but it's $250 below my max, anything more powerful then 2400w that i could fit into that price range?

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You could use most any of these for speakers. They are actually made for pro-audio applications. They are not designed for HT. So it would definitely work, but it wouldn't provide the sound quality of amps made for HT.

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You can use em for stereo speakers, but most people simply use them for their sub. They do have a fan, so they're not dead silent.

The B4+ is rated for 2500w continuous, so 2400w is pretty close to idea (for the money at any rate). Of course, the B4+ can handle up to 10,000 peak, but no need to aim for that. [​IMG] You can see that info on the bottom of page 8 in your B4+ manual.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/manuals/b4plusonline.pdf

11. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Ive got a Behringer EP2500 powering the woofers in my main speakers (biamplified) and it does a great job. Puts out tons of power. I paid only 50 dollars more for it than my old QSC RMX 1450 (i bought the QSC used) and it puts out over 1.5 times more power. I think a guy in the DIY forum tested it using a heater as a dummy load and got it to produce its rated output into 4ohms bridged mono @ 20hz with a 50% duty cycle. He had to use a variac though to make sure the input voltage was 120v though.

The fan is loud, but you can replace it or put a resistor in series with it. Infact, If used in an airconditioned house, I'd say you could probably disable the fan if it gets good ventilation and you only have it turned up for short periods of time (like home theater)

I put a resistor in series, and it made it much quieter, but it still isnt totally silent. I will probably install a switch to turn the fan off and on if needed. [​IMG]

12. Allen Marshall

How loud are we talking here. if it's on top of the tv (15-16ft away) and im assuming the fan is facing the rear, will i be able to hear it?

Can somebody give me a good comparison, is it like having the vents on in a house (alittle to loud), is it like the fan on a CPU, is it like hearin the cd load in a cd tray of a CPU.

If it gets to be a problem, Jerry how bout i send the damn thing to you and you can turn it into a stealth machine?

Even though sometimes the vents are goin during a movie, or we have this little fan in the kitchen (behind the family room, about 15ft away) that runs sometimes, it would be nice to have some piece and quiet at suspenseful times, scary movies specifically. I wish i could wait till my B4 comes to watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Matrix Revolutions.....but...i cant [​IMG]

Is that the trade off then, fan noise but 2400 watts. i had absolutely no clue subwoofer amps could be so cheap, 3 months ago if you asked me how much a 2500 watt subwoofer amp would be i'd say $5,000 (from all the research for my upcoming amp upgrade and how there thousands of dollars but only like 300 to 400 watts a channel at 4 ohms).

We have a first gen Sony DVD player, that runs...well...just about as loud as you can imagine a cd player can run and i've grown used to that. We have two dvd players ontop of the tv simply cause the Sony has better options but cant play burned cds, but the Samsung can but man...gotta hold it down for 5 seconds to fast forward and sometimes it loses it's signal so it goes to the next chapter. so maybe the fan wont be so bad aye guys?...guys?...guys?......i am so screwed arent I.

13. Jerry Parker

I'd say you would probably be able to hear it. It's about as loud as a moderatly loud cpu fan. It is less loud than most cd-rom drives running at full speed though.

I don't think sending it to me would be economically feasable [​IMG] It only took me an hour or so to modify the amplifier (and keep in mind im not an expert) to have the fan run slower. I could explain to you what I did, or you could take it to an electronics shop in town and probably get it modified for less money than it would cost to send it to me.

You arent screwed though. Modifying the amp really isnt that big of a deal. I can't say with 100 percent confidence that completely disabling the fan in the amp would be fine (since I don't know how loud and for how long you plan to listen), but the fact is, prosound amplifiers are designed to be much more rugged than home amplifiers, and are designed to be operated in high heat conditions. I honestly don't think it would pose a problem completely disabling the fan.

14. Jerry Parker

15. Allen Marshall

thanks for goin the full mile there jerry.

16. javry

javry Agent

In this hobby, you're going to get exactly what you pay for. In that regard, I'd save my pennies and go for a Crown K1 or K2. Check on Ebay. You may have to buy it used but at least you won't have a noisy fan to deal with. Just a thought...
    Javry

17. Jerry Parker

Allan, on Friday night I ran the EP2500 for 5 hours straight at a party at FULL output (the amplifier was probably being overdriven by around 6dB or so on average). The amplifier took it just fine and sounded great! Keep in mind, this is after I reduced the speed of the fan too. [​IMG]

So the unit seems to be incredibly reliable, and I really don't think it even needs the fan unless you plan on running it like I did.

[​IMG]

18. Allen Marshall

Well im 99% sure im gettin a B4+, gotta give some super subwoofer at a HT shop one more listen. When you dont have a subwoofer it's hard to imagine in my head what a sub would sound like in my HT. It's really a drag, yah get all excited to watch movies on surround sound but there's no bass, always sayin "the part was cool, would of been a hell of alot better if we had a subwoofer". Then of course the family sayin "i think the bass these speakers give out is pretty good", they just dont know, but we do dont we [​IMG]

May have been goin overboard with the $600 amp, more like $400 as things stand now. So im most likely gonna get the EP2500 and thennnn if it bothers me from 16ft away i'll put up with it for a month and get the K2. Im pretty we wont be able to afford gettin the B4 and a K2 at the sametime, even if the K2 is used.

Been workin on gettin a sub since before christmas, the PB2-Ultra seemed like a great idea, cause before i could afford more then the Plus but less then the B4 but then when i found out the performance difference is little, well that shot the whole thing. I also try to mentally convince myself the subwoofer is gonna sound like crap and not be able to produce alot of bass cause if i keep reading all these reviews and svs stories i may end up expecting something ridiculious, more then what the thing can do.

I've lost alot of bass courage. I went from being nerve racked when my dual 8" 400 watt computer subwoofer went all out (almost on the brink of bottoming out) shaking every wall in this 15x15 room to Bangin the livin bajesus out of the Velodyne 1812 at my favorite hometheater shop. Goin to the shop listenin to subwoofers inspires the heck out of me everytime my decision wavers alittle bit. The seemless simple bass to, closing doors, people runnin on a woodfloor etc.

And hey, i hooked up some speakers and made surround sound in my bedroom. Pretty relaxing to watch a movie in DD layin in bed.

Jerry how loud does your subwoofer get when you have that evil grin on your face watchin action movies (estimate) and how loud are the speakers when thats goin on.

19. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Allen,

I know a lot of people have been saying that you don't need a K2 or bigger, but I think that the bigger the better. Especially when you're talking about the B4+. That thing is wattage hungry, and you should feed it as much as possible. I have a very large room (19x20) and I don't know what I would do, if I didn't have the K2 amp for my B4+. With it, I am easily able to get 130 dB out of the B4 when playing music (with EXTRA BASS) engaged on the receiver. I don't like my music loud, but I love bass you can feel, and I don't think I would be able to push the B4+ as hard as I am now, if I didn't have that amp.

If you look carefully, you can find a K2 quite cheap on Ebay. That's where I got mine. I paid $800 for a used one, and even though it came with scratches all over it, it works great, and since there's no fan built in, it's completely silent. It stays quite cool, even when I'm pushing the sub to it's limits. I've since found some K2s for only $600 (used of course) so I think you should just keep looking and go for that instead of settling for something less.

In the words of Madonna, "Don't go for 2nd best."

20. Jerry Parker

Allan, I don't have a subwoofer right now, I run my front speakers full range. They can do 115dB+ from 35hz on up in my room though, so I can get really loud bass, it just doesnt extend as low as it would with a real subwoofer. However, when I had them outside at that party on friday, the bass response was lacking, most likely from the lack of boundry reinforcement like in a room. When I had my 1803 based sonotube subwoofer (before I sold it) I could make the walls in my room flex a third of an inch with a 15hz tone, and that was with the QSC RMX1450 amplifier, which doesnt even put out as much power as the Behringer. I measured SPL's of over 120dB when I had the subwoofer. The B4 that you are getting should be louder than that.