600-ish watts, 4 ohm, under $300?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_A, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Chad_A

Chad_A Auditioning

Is there an amp that fits around here? I was going to go with a QSC rmx850 but decided to keep looking for something that has an xover and perhaps not quite as much power.

ANy Help?

2. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Have you seen the Crown XLS402?

I think it is 400 into 4ohm x2. It has highpass @15 and 30 (or none). that is $300

the XLS602 gives you 600 watts but it is $500

remember, you'll only get 1.5dBs going from 400 to 600 watts

good luck

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Check the hardware section. Saw cinepro amp for $375

4. Chad_A

Chad_A Auditioning

Hmm, $375 is pushing it honestly. I'm a poor college student and I'm raising the cash for the amp by actually selling my car amplifier.

The problem is that the driver isn't exactly the most efficient out there, fits the typical high excursion catagory (20+mm linear xmax). That and the fact the port seems to be 88" long, and I can't afford PR's so it'll be sealed.

And whatever the amp is it must be bridgable seeing as it's a dvc 2/2.

I'll take a look into the Crown, thanks.

OH, and of course the other option is to just fabricate my own crossover, but I'm not exactly sure of any electronic stores that carry components with extremly small tolerance levels.

5. Shawn Solar

What sub driver are you using specifically? And in what alignment? I have a blueprint 1503 in a 160l sonotube tuned with a 6" flared port 28" long which gives a final tuning of 20hz. Your best bet is to pick up an amp used. I got my amp used for $350 and it is 1200watts.

6. Chad_A

Chad_A Auditioning

Resonant Engineering 12hc is the specific driver.
    How does that 6" port work for your 1503? Any port noise going on? I've allready had it in-car in 2.5 cubes, 28hz, 27 sq in and I had some port noise so I was worried about that when I move it into the house. Then again I had a higher tune and will go for 20hz if I go ported so even if I did a 6" port which if I'm correct about 28 sq inches the port noise shouldn't be as bad as the higher tune. But if I'm correct if I throw my 12hc in ~4 cubes, 6", and 20hz the port velocity seems to be .12 mach - not horrible, but I'm worried.
    Plus this all needs to fit in a dorm. If sealed I could get away with just a 19" cube which would be very nice. But I just modeled up 4 cube, 20hz and the curve is extremely nice. Flat dropping only 1db from 80hz to 20hz.
    The RE site is having problems so here's a vedor's site, includes the t/s's: http://www.bladeice.com/subre.htm It's a 12hc.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you decide to take a look at the Crown amp, you'll find that among other places, they can be found at www.musiciansfriend.com which also operates the Guitar Center stores. Might be one in your area so give them a call and see what they're return policy is. Perhaps the Crown will meet your needs.

8. Shawn Solar

They look exactly like the Blueprint series subs. Very similar. When I modeled it(1503) in unibox it plots port velocity as a little high at 20hz and 1000watts(haven't finished the actual sub). But Going with what others have said if I use flares on each end of the port it reduces port noise significantly. The flares which fit on the end of a pvc pipe no larger than 6.25" OD cost about $50. and are hard to find. Oh at 1000watts I am pushing about 118db in room at 20hz. I really don't think I will ever go that loud so I doubt port compression will be a problem. Try posting in the advanced HT area if you need help on an enclosure. Lots of knowledgable DIY'ers.

9. Chad_A

Chad_A Auditioning

Yes Resonant Engineering, the HC series at least, are very silimar to Blueprint Drivers. Of course the SE and XXX are entirely different animals.

The both have the same coil hight and I believe winding gauge. Basicly take a Blueprint 03, reinforce the collar, Throw some cf in the cone, and make it dvc (or qvc for that matter) and you've got the HC. The RE is more geared towards car audio hence the dvc 2/2.

I'd really perfer to go for a slot port, I wonder if beveling the edges with a router wil have the same effect as a flared piece on a pvc pipe.

10. Shawn Solar

"I'd really perfer to go for a slot port, I wonder if beveling the edges with a router wil have the same effect as a flared piece on a pvc pipe. "

It could but I'm not sure on how much to bevel the edges before you would see an improvement.