What's new

$600 budget for friend help (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Hello
I ahve some ideas but i have a friend I am trying to save from HTIB, around 600.00 to get some smaller speakers, sub, and reciever. Looking at some of the ts infinity series, any other thoughts?

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
What is your friend look for in sound quality? There are a lot of choices for $600.00 but nothing in high end area. If there is preference of sound then we might be able to provide some suggestion with trade off.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say something like:

6 JBL E20s ($100 a pair from J&R, $300 total)
Dayton 10" ($130 from parts express)
Onkyo 502 ($150 refurb from J&R)
Total: $580 before shipping

or

4 JBL E20s ($100 a pair from J&R, $100 total)
JBL EC25 ($100 from OneCall)
Dayton 10" ($130 from parts express)
Onkyo 502 ($150 refurb from J&R)
Total: $580 before shipping

All of these suggestions are from reputable authorized dealers. Personally I would go w/ the first option because it gives you the ability to do 6.1 w/ perfectly matched speakers all around for the same money as the second option which is only 5.1. You could also use E10s in the back if you need to wallmount the speakers, but they're only $5 less a pair. If you can get the budget up to $650 then using E30s as mains might be a decent upgrade, but E20s all around should do nicely and identical speakers all around is always a bonus. Either option allows for an easy upgrade path to 7.1 later by adding something like the E80s or E90s up front and moving the E20s/E30s to the back.

I'd call J&R before you order. Shipping is free from J&R on all the items i mentioned, so you'd only have to pay shipping on the sub and would more than likely come out just under $600 total. You might even be able to work a discount w/ J&R for ordering multiple items, but these are extremely low prices already, the best i could find and i even searched unauthorized dealers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On the HTIB side, take a look at the Onkyo 770 system. It has a real powered sub, and a real AVR at it's heart. So not a typical cheap HTIB by any means.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Just another to consider: AV123 has their Tyke speaker set plus a Kenwood VRS-7200 currently for $499.

good luck,

John S

Senior HTF Member
I personally only approve of those that come with a full featured AVR and separate powered subwoofer.

DVD/CD Player Built in = Bad
The Subwoofer power built in = Bad

6.1 AVR, with lots of great processor modes, and equal full power decent amps, plus video switching including HD = Good

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Consider this:

Fluance AV-HTB ~$245 shipped
Dalton 10" ~$130 shipped?
Onkyo 502 ~$150 + $30 shipped? (refurb)

That will give you a total of $525. The left over $45 is for speakers wire + optical cable. You should be all set with a pretty good entry system.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I just bought two tyke 5.1 sets, which include a center, 4 matching sides and rears, a sub (which for a small room like bedroom 12X12 is killer) and all came with a new Kenwood receiver which in and of itself is quite remarkable for $599 per set.

Having a big set down stairs in the family/HT room, and after helping the teenagers get their Tykes set up in their rooms I was amazed at what these little things can put out. Also they are all metal and built like little brick shit houses so no need to worry if you drop one. They also come with wall mounting brackets too. And me and the kids could not be more happy.. will get them through college and on from there until they get their own bigger spaces. A perfect 10 to me for a HTIB... check them out at AV123.com

Good luck
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks