What's new

60" Plasma, Panny ST30 or Samsung D550 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
looks like I'm getting a new TV soon, my first plasma, replacing a 36" 3yo LCD. I'd go for 65, but the fiancee wants 55, so looks like the end result will be a compromise at 60.

I like both of these TVs, but wonder if one is clearly superior to the other?

These two units are comparably priced, and about what I want to spend. At this point in the year, I'll probably wait until black friday to see if either goes on sale somewhere or online, but I may pull the trigger sooner than that if I see a good enough deal.

I've never taken in discs to have a TV tested, I presume I"d be either laughed out of Best buy or given a puzzled look, chains like Paul's TV seem to do the best buy think of every TV displaying the same thing. Do I have to go to a really small retailer to get this service?

I'm going to wall mount the plasma with a monoprice wall mount, are there any issues I should be aware of with mounting a TV as heavy as these (around 100lbs)? I figure if I buy locally I'll just have the TV delivered and installed by others, do most stores require you to buy a mount from them or will they still install it for you if you already have a mount? What specs do I need to look up on the TVs before I buy mounting hardware?

Thanks,

Adam

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
I have my 55" Samsung mounted. I could of bought a rack cheaper online but I said f it and bought it at Best Buy.

I'll post a pic of the tilted mount I used below. However it's only good up to 56" but Sanus does make mounts for larger sets. I actually am in the same situation kind of. I am moving soon in to a much bigger pad and I am putting my Samsung upstairs in the loft master bedroom. I am now looking to buy a 3D Plasma TV 65" or look into Projectors to go bigger size wise which I have never owned but I am doing a lot of reading but need a larger mount if I buy the 65" TV.

I don't think there will be an issue as long as you use a stud finder and the appropriate mount.

As far as a 65" and heavier weight this thread pretty much sums up what you need.. I think.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340186

Best Buy would of installed the mount for me whether I bought it there or not but they did not require I buy a mount with the TV.

I am looking to buy the Panasonic VIERA TC-P65GT30 65-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
thanks for the link, the vt 65 is drool worthy. a local bestbuy has two 65" samsung d8000 open box for $2099 and man did I get hooked on the look of the high end models then (because once I started thinking about the 8000, I had to compare to the vt pannys). Before I had been smart enough to not even look at the high end models so I wouldn't get sucked in. It may be too late...

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
If you don't mind Adam please let me know what TV and Mount you go with. That Samsung 8000 is pretty nice eh. Little out of my price range though for what I want to spend. $2099 for open box is tempting huh lol. Now see what you've started. I feel this need to go browse more models in person. Any chance the VT 65 Pana's drop in price over holidays and black friday? From what I have seen most of the mid tier to higher end tech doesn't get affected during those times.

Lance

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have a D550. I think it's a decent 3D set, but I never specifically set out to buy a new TV set. I got mine as part of a package deal when I bought a new bed which I sorely needed. If I had actually been looking at specifically buying a TV set, I probably would have gone with a Panasonic set. I think the black levels on the Panasonic plasmas are pretty well the best I've seen. The "THX mode" looked pretty impressive on the Panasonic set that I looked at. A full calibration might have been able to improve on it, but the set looked pretty good out of the box when set to "THX". My D550 looks not bad after doing a basic calibration, but nowhere near as nice as the Panasonic did when it was set to "THX". I believe the Panasonic I looked at was a VT30 model.

Users who are viewing this thread