60 Minutes segment on Internet Piracy; One-sided and untrue?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Hahn, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Found an interesting piece, written by Gary Dretzka, over at The TV Barn about 60 Minutes segment concerning Internet Piracy. The whole thing can be found here: http://www.tvbarn.com/archives/016361.html

Here's some of the juice:

Actually, I'd hoped not to comment anymore on "Jack Valenti's Final Crusade" -- as it's being seen in Hollywood and Washington -- but Sunday's night's "Pirates of the Internet" segment on "60 Minutes" can't be allowed to go unchallenged. The report couldn't have been any less substantial and one-sided if the feisty MPAA czar had stationed himself inside the CBS News editing bay in which the piece was cut . . .

. . . I do, however, object to the shoddy reporting methodology of correspondent Lesley Stahl and producer Rome Hartman, who allowed Chernin to throw out wildly exaggerated and alarmist figures to buttress the studios' case. Stahl's response was even more surprising, however, as she allowed Chernin's so-called facts to go unchallenged. Indeed, the veteran newshound spent most of the piece raising her eyebrows and going, "Gee, whiz."

Even I learned in high school English that you never, ever published a single-source article. Shame on 60 Minutes.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I saw it, but I wasn't that impressed with most of it; the sole exception was that movies were literally stolen from the studios and taken home to be copied and then returned.

Not much in the way of security, huh?

A large part of it was on Kazaa, and that one man was making up files for them that were empty, just to hopefully discourage people from downloading them and then realizing that they didn't get anything, but then they went on to mention that the 'real' movies had been flagged so that if you knew what to look for, you'd get the real thing.

No mention about going after any of the down/up loaders, though.

I didn't really consider it one-sided. There really isn't another side to the story, as the 'other side' would be illegal, period.

Glenn

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Not necessarily. The other side of this story isn't the pirate's view. The other side is whether the statistics that were given are accurate or whether they are exaggerated and being used as scaremongering tactics by movie executives.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

6. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I disagree, if there was a report on the national news about illgeal immigrants and how big of a problem they are they would at least spend some focus on the immigrants' side and report on why they want so much to be in North America.

The best news reporting doesn't just state the problem, it states why it is such a problem. Piracy is illegal so I'm sure viewers are wondering why the pirates go such great lengths to grab these movies.

Was it more movie focused, music focused, or both?

8. Michael St. Clair

The other 'side' of the story could include the following:

1) The studios aren't losing anywhere near the amount of money from piracy as they claim. If piracy disappeared tomorrow, their income would rise a small fraction of what they like to tout.
    2) The studios can only stop pre-release piracy themselves. Why is the finger not pointed back at them?
    3) The advancement in video and digital technology over the last three decades have not just facilitated contemoporary piracy; they also have allowed the studios to generate revenue that was once inconceivable.
    4) Most people don't pirate movies, regardless of the technology in their home to do so. Sales records are being set regularly.
    5) The draconian measures that the studios keep proposing have a chilling effect on many types of legitimate research and free speech.

Does any of this make piracy right? Or course not. Does it mean the studios have no beef? Of course not.

But there are multiple sides to every story.

And airing this piece as is makes 60 Minutes little more than a mouthpiece/shill/puppet for the studio system. Poor journalism. Pure sensationalism.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

As long as the shrill John Stossel isn't corresponding the story, we're sure to get at least a 'partially' accurate representation of the facts. Partially. [​IMG]

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Well said, Michael.

I thought John Stossel was on ABC? Is he now with CBS?

-j

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Then you must be against any copyright protection.

Glenn

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Glenn,

Michael is correct. Current intellectual property rights are the subject of debate. Not those set forth by the framers.

By your logic, we shouldn't have VCRs in the present day. Ya know, that "criminal" distribution medium that now makes up ...oh... 50+% of the studios' revenue?

15. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Don,

The FCC's doing their best to "correct" the Supreme Court's Betamax ruling. They just mandated broadcast flag copy protection that will lock digital TV recordings to the specific recording device.

Imagine if a tape made on the VCR in your home theater could not be played back on the VCR in your kids' room. In 2006, the Government will force all digital VCRs (e.g., DVHS recorders, DVD recorders, PVRs) to exhibit this defect.

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think I've been misunderstood somewhere along the line. This article was about downloading movies over the internet. I don't understand how that is not clear. The movies are protected under our copyright laws, and unless a legal fee is paid, they cannot be legally downloaded.

The Betamax law (which has nothing to do with this story, BTW), made copying TV shows specifically for time-shifting, or viewing at a later date/time. After we view them, they are supposed to be erased.

Glenn

17. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

18. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Glen said:

19. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

20. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ah, I see now. As I said, I did see it, and it was just about piracy, and not anything else.

Having seen it, when asked how many movies were being downloaded, it looked like he didn't expect that question and hesitated for a few moments. I could easily imagine what was going through his head during those few moments, and that was to jack the figure up to make it sound better.

If you were in his shoes you'd do the same thing.

The figure could easily be that high though, and since they did mention the empty downloads, those wouldn't be considered downloading movies, and if that took up 30% of his figure, you could adjust your figures accordingly.

Glenn