60 incher

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GeneYes, Aug 18, 2005.

1. GeneYes

GeneYes Auditioning

Hey all,

I am gonna buy a 60" + rear projection TV. I have looked at Sony, Sammy and Toshiba.
    I thought the pic looked pretty close to the same on all in a side by side comparison. The Sammy has additional inputs (for my new media center laptop) and does not have the speakers mounted on the side.
    SalesDude told me that only the old gen DLP have the Rainbow effect and that the bulb replacement is the same on all of them.
    I actually like the look of the Toshiba best, but inputs are important thus the fact that I am leaning to the Sammy.
    Also the stand for the Sony is mondo bucks compared to the others.

Enviroment is going to be a basement install, so fairly dark and quiet, sitting about 8-12 feet away straight on.

If anyone has any of these TV's let me know what you think.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    buy the new 1080P sammy set, call www.tvauthority.com and say you are HTF member for the best pricing.

Regards

Gregg

3. John S

John S Producer

You can't go wrong with any of those displays in my opinion. I sure love the Sony LCD RP's these days. I like the Panasonic too, which I see the way best sale pricing on.

DLP can still have the rainbows, it is better these days, but not solved. I'm a rainbow see'r myself, it is weird, I can watch for hours and not see them, but once I see them, I see them all the time from that point on.

Best of luck...

4. GeneYes

GeneYes Auditioning

Do anyother sets offer the inputs the Sammy does in an LCD format, like the VGA input?
    And are there any type of knock off stands being made for any of these sets (specifically Sony, ouch that is alot of money for a stand).

Where exacly do people see rainbows on these DLP sets, I would really like to try this instore more before purchasing.

Thanks again, great forum

5. John S

John S Producer

To see rainbows... Wait for a scene with a white background and a moving subject, glance off the screen and then back onto the subject. Not eveyrbody sees them though.

The rainbows appear most easily around a moving subject against a white background.

Not sure about the inputs, I am weak on DLP displays in general.

6. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Have you looked at the JVC 61 inch set? It has their LCOS 3 chip design and hence NO Rainbows. Looking at it side by side with DLP projectors, it has better color to my eyes. Of course store sets are never "adjusted properly" so until you get it home an calibrated it's hard to tell.

"Seeing Rainbows" can take you a while, I can see them occasionally on my 4805, but I've also learned how to avoid seeing them as well. Since they occur for me with an eye scan away from the screen on a high contrast black and white image, as look as I look AT the screen, I don't see them.

John

7. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

Hi GeneYes

Its a tough choice I see...
    It looks like you are comparing technologies
    each one has its advantage.

DLP - Better contrast
    LCD - Better color,Brightness, single image projection
    LCOS/DLIA (JVC) - Best of LCD and DLP, but still not same as DLP constrast

Current resolutions: 720p /1080p

720p is better with Standard TV as its closer to 480 of normal broadcast TV.
    1080p seems better overall with HDTV even with the internal video scaling

Stands: JVC, Samsung, Toshiba ; 200-400

PC (RGB) inputs are no longer available on the HLR series of
    samsamg, however the DLIA still has it .

1080p DILA are coming in Septemnber (We've actually started pre-ordering now)

Most of the HLR XX68/78 series are shipping now minus the 7178

Rainbows are going to always be with DLP b/c of the projection method.

Tico
    [email protected]
    888-286-5353x 504