60 feet long composite cable - Will this be okay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russell_Lengthorn, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Russell_Lengthorn

Russell_Lengthorn Auditioning

Dear All,
    I am hoping to have a little film show in my garden soon (to make good use of some of the few warm dry evenings we get in Engalnd) using a projector borrowed from work. I already have speakers in the garden so sound is not a problem, but I don't want to have to move my laserdisc player into the garden to get pictures. Therefore will I be okay to use a 60 feet (20 metre) composite cable to send the video signal, or will this give me a problem with signal loss?
    Many thanks
    Russell
    ------------------

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Russell.
    Most good-quality cable is rated by measureing out 100 feet and then injecting signals in one end and measuring the reduction at the end.
    A reduction of -15 db is considered the worst case.
    So on one hand, 60 feet should be fine for a good-quality cable.
    The next question is: do you have a good-quality cable?
    Here is the other problem: I tend to advise people to buy budget cables for short-runs to small displays. But they should invest in better-quality cables if:
    - The length of their run increases
    - The size of their display increases
    - They start sending HD video down the wires.
    You have 2 of the three points that justify more-expensive/better cables. While the signal-reduction from a 60' cable run is acceptiable for a smaller display, when you blow it up x10 or x20 with your projector..you may start to see washed-out colors.
    Can you do a test the night before with the long cable?
    But lets get real. You are going to hang a bedsheet up, use the projector and invite some Mates over for a few pints on a warm summer evening. This is NOT for critical viewing. Just run the cable and have fun. Wish I could join you. [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Russell,
    First, welcome to the Forum!
    I really don’t think this will give you any problem. We have used remote video cameras at out church with composite cable runs of well over 100ft., and the picture that was recorded on S-VHS was excellent.
    That is not to say there will be no signal loss or degradation. It would probably be measurable, but not necessarily visible upon viewing, unless perhaps you would be using a reference-model projector. But those are so expensive that I doubt you boss would let you take one home. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Wayne Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    ??Double Post!
    ------------------
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on August 22, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I think the moral of the story is, "Never click 'Stop' while the page is loading!" [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Wayne Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on August 22, 2001 at 11:39 PM]

6. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Do you have the 60' cable? If so, buy a 1 male to 2 female Y-connector from Radio Shack, or whoever takes their place in UK. Insert it in the LD player output and connect one output to the normal cable you might use on your existing TV set. Now watch the picture carefully, and plug one end of the 60' cable into the other leg of the Y-connector. What you see is the degradation due to the additional cable.
    You can decide from this test whether to proceed.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

7. Russell_Lengthorn

Russell_Lengthorn Auditioning

Thanks for the reply guys!
    You basically confirmed what I had hoped, that the long cable would diminish the picture but not enough for me to worry about. I just wanted some assurance of this before I went and made up the cable.
    Bob, you're right about the evening, we will probably drunk too much to notice the picture quality anyway!
    Once again thanks for the replies.
    Russell
    ------------------