1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

60/70w or 150w for my Paradigms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I have Paradigm Mini Monitors(8ohms, 80w) and CC-350(8ohms, 80w) at the front being powered by a Rotel RMB-1066. It can be configured to 6x60/5x70/.../3x150w. Just curious what others would set the AMP too? I've heard thats its better to have more juice than not enough for the speakers.
    Kevin

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

^^^

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kevin, if possible I'd use the amp 3 x 150. I have the older 956 that is 6 x 30 or, or, 3 x 100. When I first got my amp I used it 4 x 30 and 1 x 100 for the centre channel. I turned back the volume a bit for the centre too. I was using Enery .5 speakers with the amp then. They're more or less the predecessor models of the Take 5 ensemble. They don't need much power.
    I sold the Energy speakers after a few years and got the same speakers you have. I got a Sony ES 2 x 110 amp at one of their outlet stores for a couldn't pass up price. I then used it to run the Mini-Monitors and used the Rotel for the 350 and ADP-170 sides. This was a very good arrangement. BTW, this was my bedroom system.
    I started liking the Paradigm speakers more and more. Finally, I decided to move the Paradigm speakers to my main system to replace my Atlantic Tech 250s. I bumped up to the Monitor 7's for front though and I'm using the Mini-Monitors for sides all with 200 wpc.
    Excess power is nearly always good IMO, less chance for clipping. Do you have a reciever or other amp for sides? I would do the 3 x 150. The Mini-Monitors and 350 will respond very well in that configeration me thinks. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Rachael,
    I run my rear speakers of my Denon 1801 until I can get a Pre/Pro. Thnaks for the input.
    Kevin