What's new

6 plans for the WTC site to be released tomorrow. This is my idea... (1 Viewer)

Colin-H

Second Unit
Maybe not, but the PA is funded primarily by commuters from NJ riding the Path and crossing the bridges and tunnels.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
The New York and New Jersey Port Authority is funded by tolls on bridges/tunnels, fares on commuter railroads and subways and tax revenues from both state govts.
I believe the Towers (and 4 other buildings) were built on the 16 acres of land that were leased to the Port Authority (which is a quasi-governmental agency) for 99 years. That lease was sold in summer of 01 to Silverstein Properties (which already owned 7WTC).
See Divided We Stand : A Biography of New York City's World Trade Center
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...936638-2610364
Many of the plans, if you read closer, encompass more than 27 acres (the original site was 16).
There are multiple stakeholders to consider in this decision.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
WTF!? I got the paper today hoping to see the plans for myself but their was only one tiny little article about it!? This is a big deal, why didn't the papers do more? Maybe it will be covered more extensivly in tomorrows newspapers.

I did see them though on some CNN news clip, and it showed what the six plan designs would look like on that site via computer models. I liked all of them, but again I only got a quick glimps.

To those who have seen them, which design do you prefer out of the six?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that no plan will exceed 85 stories. The new site will not have the skyline impact that the old one did. I am not saying the should have made it 110, but the difference will be noticeable.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Colin -

Thanks for that on the taxes - didnt realize that. That book had alot of info, which I may have confused some of.
Forgot that alot of their revenues also come from the 3 airports.

CNN.com has all 6 plans, and a vote. So far the one in the lead is the one I also happened to vote for - the Promenade, which will bury the West Side Highway under parkland and create a green corridor from Statue of Liberty up the highway to the WTC area.

Colin-H

Second Unit
None of the plans really tickled my fancy. I guess I was looking for something a bit more radical... something that wasn't just going to blend into the rest of lower Manhattan.

Colin-H

Second Unit
Well, according the news tonight, many New Yorkers agreed that the plans are bland and uninspired. Back to the drawing board, thankfully.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The towers were big, what destroyed them was big, and what replaces them should be big. I agree that the six plans proffer designs that just seem to blend in with the skyline. The towers were defiant. What replaces them should be similarly bold.

I mean, we're talking about New York here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I mean, we're talking about New York here.
The one constant about New York City is that it's constantly being remade. If you look at the criticisms of the 6 plans that came out of Saturday's "town meeting" at the Javits Center, the focus isn't on building something "big". It's on creating something that will make the downtown region more of an organic neighborhood. The number one reason for the apparent sameness of the six designs was the requirement that the designers recreate the 11 million square feet of office space that was lost on 9/11. I suspect that requirement will be relaxed in the next round, and the likely outcome will be smaller, not bigger.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks