What's new

6 plans for the WTC site to be released tomorrow. This is my idea... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
After they have settled on the final plan proposals for the World Trade Center site, I think it would be very appropriate to let the people of New York vote on which plan to go with.

New Yorkers were the one's hit the hardest by the tragedy, and it's only fair that they be the one's to decide what goes up on that site I think.

Detailed drawings, perhaps even scale models, and in-depth descriptions of the plans could be presented to the public, this way the public will be able to make an intelligent decision and not a decision based only on appearance, but on safety and features as well, and an election could be held for the people to vote on.

It's a very simplistic idea, and probably a pipe dream, but I think it could work.

New Yorkers should be proud of what goes their, and this will ensure that. It may also do some people good to know that they had a hand in helping fill the massive hole left in it by the absence of the Twin Towers.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Wonder if the ridiculous laser beam cannon fortress thing will be among the six. Somehow I doubt it. :laugh:

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Is "build nothing" an option? Just wondering...
nope, the people that owned and rented the trade center complex are losing tons of money in lost rent. Personally I say build whatever makes the most sense to them, and don't worry about what the general masses / religous people want, especially the ones screaming the loudest, they should be ignored the most...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post, I meant that the public only has the 6 or whatever plans to choose from when they vote, not whatever they want to see in general.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I say they rebuild the WTC taller and grander than ever, including a very nice memorial on the site. I don't think it does anyone any good at all to just let the site lay bare for the whole world to see. The events of that day are tragic indeed, but to not build anything there ever again because of what happened seems unrealistic to me.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If they don't build something there... I would be sorely disappointed. I sincerely hope that they build the new building to LOOK like the old WTCs (which was beauty in simplicity) and IMPROVE upon it. If we build almost the same thing (and restore the NYC skyline), it is an even bigger "FU" to the terrorists' memory :)
Personally, I want to bring my kids to NYC someday and bring them up to the top of the World Trace Center to see the same beautiful view that I saw two years ago when up in the tower.
Also, is anyone getting really tired of everyone trying to hide that the towers ever existed?
We must move on...

mike caronia

Second Unit
It's easy to say, build 'em bigger and better. But for New Yorkers, it's going to be a pretty tough sell to go work on the 100th floor. No matter what the security, it's just too psychologically draining.
I'm for four 40 story buildings in it's place.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am very interested in the plans they are going to come up with.

Would be very interested in seeing what happens, but I know "replicas" of the towers they will not be.

Pesonally I do not believe that rebuilding the towers will prove anything to the terrorists. As somebody in the local paper pointed out ... "By the time we rebuild, it will take 5-7 years. If by that time we have done nothing about terrorism, we have failed already."

I used to go frequently to the 107th Floor of the WTC. Not for work, but to the Greatest Bar on Earth. Every Friday night they used to have Swing Music night and went with friends. Let me tell you, it was the greatest feeling in the world to party at that altitude. I always felt uneasy being that high up in a building, but after a few drinks we were sitting on top of the world, looking at the Statue of Liberty and the chain of Bridges on the Hudson.

Sometimes clouds were just outside the window, sometimes helicopters used to fly at the same altitude ... the building never ceased to amaze me.

A memorial and some smaller buldings would do just fine there ...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Many NY'ers got much of their identity from thos buildings (the WTC) and now that they are gone, a whole has been torn out of the city that must be filled.

Yes, I say rebuild but not with a traditional building. Obviously it will be future target so there must be a safety system present that cannot exist in a traditional building. And yes, I say NY'ers vote for the final design.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to today's (7/16) New York Times, an extended period of public discussion and comment is planned. It is expected that none of the six plans to be unveiled shortly will be implemented without substantial further revision.

M.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
nope, the people that owned and rented the trade center complex are losing tons of money in lost rent. Personally I say build whatever makes the most sense to them, and don't worry about what the general masses / religous people want, especially the ones screaming the loudest, they should be ignored the most...
Feh. As a New York City resident, I took what happened on 9/11 personally. It's my city, it's my home. If your backyard was demolished, you'd want a say in what is done with it.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Feh. As a New York City resident, I took what happened on 9/11 personally. It's my city, it's my home. If your backyard was demolished, you'd want a say in what is done with it.
You should take it personally, most everyone in the country did, regardless of where you live. And you should be able to say anything you want regarding what you want put there. And the people that own it should be able to listen to all the great suggestions and do what makes the most sense to them with the property that they have, without being harranged by people if they don't get what they want.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Ultimately the decision should be made by the people who own the land. If someone (or a group of someones) disagrees then they should begin the process of lining up the necessary $$$$ to purchase the property. To expect the current owners to take a massive financial hit is unacceptable.

*steps off soapbox*

I hope whatever they build is larger than the previous towers. It should also include at least a portion of each towers original footprint in a memorial. Some green space with trees, flowers, benches, etc. would be nice as well.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
You should take it personally, most everyone in the country did, regardless of where you live. And you should be able to say anything you want regarding what you want put there. And the people that own it should be able to listen to all the great suggestions and do what makes the most sense to them with the property that they have, without being harranged by people if they don't get what they want.
I suppose it depends on how you define "harranged."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks