1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

6 plans for the WTC site to be released tomorrow. This is my idea...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    After they have settled on the final plan proposals for the World Trade Center site, I think it would be very appropriate to let the people of New York vote on which plan to go with.

New Yorkers were the one's hit the hardest by the tragedy, and it's only fair that they be the one's to decide what goes up on that site I think.

Detailed drawings, perhaps even scale models, and in-depth descriptions of the plans could be presented to the public, this way the public will be able to make an intelligent decision and not a decision based only on appearance, but on safety and features as well, and an election could be held for the people to vote on.

It's a very simplistic idea, and probably a pipe dream, but I think it could work.

New Yorkers should be proud of what goes their, and this will ensure that. It may also do some people good to know that they had a hand in helping fill the massive hole left in it by the absence of the Twin Towers.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Wonder if the ridiculous laser beam cannon fortress thing will be among the six. Somehow I doubt it. [​IMG]

3. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Is "build nothing" an option? Just wondering...

4. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post, I meant that the public only has the 6 or whatever plans to choose from when they vote, not whatever they want to see in general.

6. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I say they rebuild the WTC taller and grander than ever, including a very nice memorial on the site. I don't think it does anyone any good at all to just let the site lay bare for the whole world to see. The events of that day are tragic indeed, but to not build anything there ever again because of what happened seems unrealistic to me.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

If they don't build something there... I would be sorely disappointed. I sincerely hope that they build the new building to LOOK like the old WTCs (which was beauty in simplicity) and IMPROVE upon it. If we build almost the same thing (and restore the NYC skyline), it is an even bigger "FU" to the terrorists' memory [​IMG]
    Personally, I want to bring my kids to NYC someday and bring them up to the top of the World Trace Center to see the same beautiful view that I saw two years ago when up in the tower.
    Also, is anyone getting really tired of everyone trying to hide that the towers ever existed?
    We must move on...

8. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

It's easy to say, build 'em bigger and better. But for New Yorkers, it's going to be a pretty tough sell to go work on the 100th floor. No matter what the security, it's just too psychologically draining.
    I'm for four 40 story buildings in it's place.

9. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I am very interested in the plans they are going to come up with.

Would be very interested in seeing what happens, but I know "replicas" of the towers they will not be.

Pesonally I do not believe that rebuilding the towers will prove anything to the terrorists. As somebody in the local paper pointed out ... "By the time we rebuild, it will take 5-7 years. If by that time we have done nothing about terrorism, we have failed already."

I used to go frequently to the 107th Floor of the WTC. Not for work, but to the Greatest Bar on Earth. Every Friday night they used to have Swing Music night and went with friends. Let me tell you, it was the greatest feeling in the world to party at that altitude. I always felt uneasy being that high up in a building, but after a few drinks we were sitting on top of the world, looking at the Statue of Liberty and the chain of Bridges on the Hudson.

Sometimes clouds were just outside the window, sometimes helicopters used to fly at the same altitude ... the building never ceased to amaze me.

A memorial and some smaller buldings would do just fine there ...

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Many NY'ers got much of their identity from thos buildings (the WTC) and now that they are gone, a whole has been torn out of the city that must be filled.

Yes, I say rebuild but not with a traditional building. Obviously it will be future target so there must be a safety system present that cannot exist in a traditional building. And yes, I say NY'ers vote for the final design.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

According to today's (7/16) New York Times, an extended period of public discussion and comment is planned. It is expected that none of the six plans to be unveiled shortly will be implemented without substantial further revision.

M.

12. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

13. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

14. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Check this website for detailed description of the 6 new proposals (they are not online yet). You will also be able to comment on them!
    http://www.renewnyc.com

15. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

16. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

17. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Ultimately the decision should be made by the people who own the land. If someone (or a group of someones) disagrees then they should begin the process of lining up the necessary $$$$ to purchase the property. To expect the current owners to take a massive financial hit is unacceptable.

*steps off soapbox*

I hope whatever they build is larger than the previous towers. It should also include at least a portion of each towers original footprint in a memorial. Some green space with trees, flowers, benches, etc. would be nice as well.

18. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

19. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Yeah, problem is, according to the above article, the government owns the land.

20. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor