What's new

6 ohm speakers (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any advantages (besides more watts being available) or disadvantages of 6 ohm speakers vs. 8 ohm speakers?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
6 ohm speakers are always better, reguardless of price. Simple fact

:D

To answer your question - no. There will be (on paper) more load on your amp, which isn't good by itself (you 'should' get a BIT more output)

I would not worry. A good '8 ohm' receiver will drive them fine.

Sound is what is important!

Luis C.

Agent
Hey Kevin...

I have a brand new par of Wharfedales Evo 40...they are listed as 6 ohm speakers with 200W max...I use them with an Onkyo TX_SR602 and they are AWESOME!!!!

I've had nothing but a good experience with them (except that my wife doesn't like them so I might have to sell them) And I really like the looks...

Axu R

Agent
I also have Wharfes. That 6 is only the minimum, it changes with the Freq. So it doesn't really matter if it's 6 or 8, with a recent/decent amp of course.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I am looking at some PSB 6T (6 ohm speakers), along with a few others that are 8 ohms, and connecting them to a Denon 2805 and I was just curious.

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Anyone have experience with Monitor Audio Silver or Bronze bookshelves (6ohms) driven by HK525? I have the receiver and I'm interested on those MAs.

How about the Polk LSi7s? (4ohms) ? Can the HK drive them ?
If they will be putting more load on the amp, what does it mean? Will it heat up faster at the same volume level with 8ohm speakers?

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at those PSB image series for a while now. I wish I had the money and support of the wife to get them. Let us know your impressions if you pull the trigger.

Max F

Second Unit
I have MA Bronze b4s and my cheapo (but good) Panny receiver has no problems driving them. They're actually quite efficient. I think alot of British speakers are rated at 6 ohm, but is really no different than 8 ohm.

LSis and other 4 ohm speaker really do require a more solid receiver (not sure about your HK) or separate amp.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I am going to listen to the 5T's today (store doesn't have the 6T 's in stock). I'll let you know what I think later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks