6 ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin_F, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Are there any advantages (besides more watts being available) or disadvantages of 6 ohm speakers vs. 8 ohm speakers?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

6 ohm speakers are always better, reguardless of price. Simple fact

[​IMG]

To answer your question - no. There will be (on paper) more load on your amp, which isn't good by itself (you 'should' get a BIT more output)

I would not worry. A good '8 ohm' receiver will drive them fine.

Sound is what is important!

3. Luis C.

Luis C. Agent

Hey Kevin...

I have a brand new par of Wharfedales Evo 40...they are listed as 6 ohm speakers with 200W max...I use them with an Onkyo TX_SR602 and they are AWESOME!!!!

I've had nothing but a good experience with them (except that my wife doesn't like them so I might have to sell them) And I really like the looks...

4. Axu R

Axu R Agent

I also have Wharfes. That 6 is only the minimum, it changes with the Freq. So it doesn't really matter if it's 6 or 8, with a recent/decent amp of course.

5. Kevin_F

Thanks guys, I am looking at some PSB 6T (6 ohm speakers), along with a few others that are 8 ohms, and connecting them to a Denon 2805 and I was just curious.

6. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    Anyone have experience with Monitor Audio Silver or Bronze bookshelves (6ohms) driven by HK525? I have the receiver and I'm interested on those MAs.

How about the Polk LSi7s? (4ohms) ? Can the HK drive them ?
    If they will be putting more load on the amp, what does it mean? Will it heat up faster at the same volume level with 8ohm speakers?

7. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at those PSB image series for a while now. I wish I had the money and support of the wife to get them. Let us know your impressions if you pull the trigger.

8. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I have MA Bronze b4s and my cheapo (but good) Panny receiver has no problems driving them. They're actually quite efficient. I think alot of British speakers are rated at 6 ohm, but is really no different than 8 ohm.

LSis and other 4 ohm speaker really do require a more solid receiver (not sure about your HK) or separate amp.

9. Kevin_F

Brian, I am going to listen to the 5T's today (store doesn't have the 6T 's in stock). I'll let you know what I think later.