6 ohm speakers will they hurt my receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mikel.S, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but will using 6 ohm speakers hurt my receiver? I'm just waiting for my new speakers to get here and am using some Aiwa bookshelf ones with my new Onkyo receiver.

There's a switch on the back that says 4 ohm minimum or 8 ohm minimum and I set it to 4 ohm.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Nope,
    With the switch set to 4 ohm minimum you're good to go with
    6 ohm speakers.

3. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

Cool, thanks..

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Instead of starting a new thread; how about 6 ohm rear speakers with an 8ohm fixed receiver ? I don't care for the rear speakers but I wonder at high volume levels if the receiver gets over heated is there a risk to the rest of the speakers or is it only a risk for the rears? The receiver has a dedicated amp for each channel, so am I correct assuming it will damage the rears in the worst or am I not? TY

5. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Cagri,

I run 6 ohm mains from my receiver. It is switchable from 4/8 ohm, but I run it on 8 w/o any problems. The receiver does get a little warm, but I think that's normal for this receiver. I don't think it makes any difference whether your running rears @ 6 and others at 8. If you were running 6 ohm speakers all around, it might make a difference.

JKS

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    There was a thread about this around here recently. Basically the concensus was that 8/4 ohm switches were a crutch. They limit the current in order to keep the amp from burning up, but in doing so, the limit headroom and possibly even dynamics to a degree. Additionally, the excellent analogy was made that using a receiver that is not designed to be stable to 4 ohms at all channels without some sort of switch is like towing a boat with a midsized car. Sure you can do it, but you are beating the shit out of the car, and you will probably have premature component failure (engine, transmission, brakes, suspension). Same thing with a recevier that isnt designed to be stable to 4 ohms all channels driven. Of course, many speakers dont have a set impedence accross the entire frequency range (although some are smoother than others) and there are often impedence variations around the crossover point. And, 6 ohms will be easier to drive than 4. how efficient are the speakers. A 6 ohm speaker with 92 dB sensativity would give me less concern than one with 87 dB because of the overall heat that will be created in each situation. Heat kills electronics.

7. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

I ran a pair of 4 ohm KEFs homes for years on a Pioneer, NAD, and Onkyo receiver, long before the 'switch' idea. Never had a problem.