$6 million for Buddy Groom???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Just goes to show that you should raise your kids to be left-handed pitchers. Here's a guy who will be 37 years old, has a career ERA of almost 5 (which is terrible for a reliever) and blows 20-25% of his save opportunities. Is this an indication of how poor the state of major league pitching is these days, or is Peter Angelos just nuts?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'm left handed, and could do a little bit of pitching (junk pitches, nothing too fast), but I've never understood the love affair baseball GMs have for left-handed pitchers either.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Why are they wanting left handed pitchers? 1 reason is that a good majority of pitchers are right handed in the minors and major league ranks. Pitches coming from a left handed pitcher look completely different then ones coming from a right-handed pitcher, and that difference makes it a lot harder to hit the ball. Another reason is that left-handers have a different delivery, which usually hides the ball from the hitters view for a longer period of time (They cant see it in the pitchers hand). The last major change is that all the pitches a hitter is used to hitting (Curve, slider, forkball, etc) will be coming in at a different angle. So instead of the curve breaking away from a right handed batter it breaks towards him, meaning instead of waiting longer to hit the pitch, you need to be swinging sooner. There are other reasons but those are some reasons that I could come up with right off the top of my head [​IMG]
    KyleS

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Left-handed pitchers can get left-handed hitters out more easily... There's a disproprotionate amount of left-handed hitters in the league (likely due to the fact that it's easier for a lefty to hit a righty.) Basically, the natural movement of a R/R or L/L combination is for a ball to go towards the middle of the plate. For a R/L or L/R combo the movement is for the ball to go into the batter. So, more mistakes happen towards the middle of the plate, which are hittable mistakes. A ball running in and almost hitting you though, isn't too hittable mistake. Also, lefties don't see as many lefties, so they are often less comfortable. (Where-as R/R isn't as big a deal, because rightes are more used to it...)
    Also, L pitchers are closer to first base for a throw (their arm is, and likely where they standing on the mound are as well) so it's easier for them to old on runners.
    So, ~30% of MLB pitchers are lefties vs 10-15% of lefties in the general population.
    I hope that was coherent. It's certainly not an exact science, and giving Buddy Groom 6Mil seemed pretty stupid to me too. [​IMG]

5. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Since I live in Maryland, I have always hated him, we call him "Buddy Doom" and Elvis Garbac as "Elvis Garbage". Is the contract for 1 or 2 years. I am one of the people that thinks that Peter is a little crazy, I mean he paid a bum like Ripkin $3 million when he was in his 40's.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Ryan,

True, but at least one can argue that Ripken was worth the money because he may have generated higher attendance numbers. I don't see people buying tickets saying "We need to see Buddy pitch."

7. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I laughed my ass off when I saw this. I remeber when he was with the Tigers. For years and years Sparky would shuffle him back and forth between Detroit Toledo and it was always just a matter of time before he became good. I think it took 4 years for them to figure out that he stinks.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My thinking is this:

I'm a left-handed batter, and I'd rather face a right-handed pitcher as well (I see the ball more), so for me the adjustment in facing left-handed pitchers is more a pain.

But if I were a right-handed batter, who was used to right-handed pitching, facing a left-handed pitching would not automatically become a negative in my book, regardless of their breaking stuff.

I guess it's just a predominance nowadays of managers managing by the book during the late inning relief stages where they always play the percentages of trying to get a lefty-lefty match-up and vice-versa if possible. When the game comes down to a handful of outs, I suppose that's were the "value" of being a left-handed relief pitcher shows up.