6 identical speakers for 6.1??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by STLMIKE, Nov 19, 2002.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

For a dedicated HT (not used for music), would 3 pairs of JBL Studio 36 speakers work well for me?

I want to go 6.1, but haven't found anyone that will sell 1 surround speaker by itself (always in pairs) for the rear center. Will a decent bookshelf speaker work as well as a front "center channel" speaker? Or should I get 2 centers, larger bookshelf mains (i.e. Studio 38s) and then a little smaller surrounds?....

Thanks,
    Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Along the same lines.

Is it possible to move your center speaker to the rear surround in a 6.1 setup, and simply use the speakers on your tv as the center speaker? I know that I can do that with my reciever, but I don't know if I will blow out my speakers on the tv (or something equally unpleasant).

4. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

NO to using a TV speaker as a center channel.

I just order 3 pair of Dahlquist QX 6's to complete a 6.1 system. I'm hoping that a perfect sonic match with all speakers will make for great surround. All three front speakers will be 4 foot off the ground and the back three will be wall mounted just below the ceiling, angled down.

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

You could get 3 pairs of S36's for a 6.1 setup using one of the S36's for the center, and the other for the back center.
    OR, you could get 3 pairs of S36's and add an S CenterII (which sounds to me as a very good sonic mate for the S36's) and be all ready for 7.1

I beleive Mark Knight has the 6.1 setup with all S36's and he seems very pleased.

One thing you want to remember is to get a good quality sub that is smooth into the midbass region as the S36, though a very smooth speaker, does not produce a lot of bass...

Robert