What's new

6 identical speakers for 6.1?? (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
For a dedicated HT (not used for music), would 3 pairs of JBL Studio 36 speakers work well for me?

I want to go 6.1, but haven't found anyone that will sell 1 surround speaker by itself (always in pairs) for the rear center. Will a decent bookshelf speaker work as well as a front "center channel" speaker? Or should I get 2 centers, larger bookshelf mains (i.e. Studio 38s) and then a little smaller surrounds?....

Thanks,
Mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Will a decent bookshelf speaker work as well as a front "center channel" speaker
Yes. I have tried it both ways, and I am now using a center channel speaker, simply because I am not wasting one of a pair of my other speakers. The surrounds and rear center are from the same family of speaker, so the sound is not that much different.

S26s would probably work just fine as surrounds, with S36s as mains. 3 pairs of S36s would work also.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Along the same lines.

Is it possible to move your center speaker to the rear surround in a 6.1 setup, and simply use the speakers on your tv as the center speaker? I know that I can do that with my reciever, but I don't know if I will blow out my speakers on the tv (or something equally unpleasant).

Donnie Clark

Agent
NO to using a TV speaker as a center channel.

I just order 3 pair of Dahlquist QX 6's to complete a 6.1 system. I'm hoping that a perfect sonic match with all speakers will make for great surround. All three front speakers will be 4 foot off the ground and the back three will be wall mounted just below the ceiling, angled down.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
You could get 3 pairs of S36's for a 6.1 setup using one of the S36's for the center, and the other for the back center.
OR, you could get 3 pairs of S36's and add an S CenterII (which sounds to me as a very good sonic mate for the S36's) and be all ready for 7.1

I beleive Mark Knight has the 6.1 setup with all S36's and he seems very pleased.

One thing you want to remember is to get a good quality sub that is smooth into the midbass region as the S36, though a very smooth speaker, does not produce a lot of bass...

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks