What's new

6" flared port (1 Viewer)

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a current vendor for 6" flared ports or port ends (pvc caps) I can't find one. I might have to go with 2 4" but I would prefer 1 6".

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Check with Chad at www.ascendantaudio.com. He was trying to get set up with Rockford-Fosgate to handle the AeroPort 6" flares.

There maybe a few pairs at car audio dealers somewhere in the US. If you want to call Rockford-Fosgate they might be able to give you the name of a dealer that has a pair in stock. Otherwise they were discontinued years ago.

As far as I know there were/are no other companies that make 6" flares.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom I forgot to mention that when I ordered my avalanche yesterday I asked about 6" flared ports but they didnt have them in stock. As you can imagine it was busy and I didnt get a chance to talk to Chad. I sent Ascendant an email today asking them to let me know if they plan on getting any before my order shipps.

Lightning Audio still has the 6" AeroPort listed in their product list so I sent them an email asking them if they are still in production and if they could point me to a dealer that sells them. I would think there would be enough people making diy subs these days for a company to start production again. If I get any hits I will let everyone know.

I was looking at the 4" precision ports but they will only go to a maximum of 17" and WinISD lists that I will need a little over 18" to hit 20Hz. Can these be extended any farther by adding pvc or does anyone have any other ideas if I have to go with 2 4" ports.

This is for a 15" avalanche in most likely 8^3ft tuned to 20Hz if it makes a difference.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I recommend calling them on the phone. A few years ago when I need some, I was able to access a guy in the warehouse that actually did a physical count of the quantity they had in stock....

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Well I got an email back from lightning audio and they are saying they are still in production and any authorized dealer should be able to order one for me. I am going to call my local dealer and see what the price and availability is.

Edit:
Just got off the phone with one of the local dealers. He of course said he didn't have anything like that. I then asked him if his store was an authorized lightning audio dealer and he said they were. I told him it was one of their products and I had the part number. After he dug arround in his price book for a while he said he could get them and it would be $41.95 for the kit. The part number is PNR6BK-PT if anyone else wants to check their local dealer. I have another dealer in town that might have a lower price so I am going to check there too.

Considering 2 4" precision ports from PE would be half the price I might have to go with the 4".

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Trust me the 6" flares are well worth the money.

BTW, 2-4" ports don't flow the same amount of air as 1-6" port

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
yeah the local HT store I sub-contract for just dropped the rockford/lightning audio line...a shame:frowning: I may still beable to get'em though I am not sure

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
6" flared it is then. If Thomas says its worth it thats good enough for me. Better to spend an extra 20 bucks then to have to do the whole box over.

Thomas the AeroPorts are just ends right? They just mount to 6" pvc?

How many inches of clearence do I need to leave from the inside end of the port? And If I put a 90 degree angle in the port to I have to compensate by shortening it at all?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yes they're just the end flares you supply the tube.

The AeroPort flares have a 5 3/4" ID, and must be mounted to a special PVC that's made for sewer use. It's green and it's OD is 5 3/4". So it just fits in the flares.

Just so you know these flares are BIG almost 9.5" at the largest measurement.

http://64.27.11.233/forum/attachment...tid=1553&stc=1

For best SQ elbows should not be used, using one changes the characteristics of the air spring inside the port.

For best SQ the port opening inside the box, should be the diameter of the port away from any interior surface

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
if the port was near the side wall it would change tuneing? would it lower or make it higher? in my last sub project i had the ports about 2 in away from the walls and they were 4 in ports. well the edge of the flair.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

Just for future reference...I'm pretty sure Chad stocks additional center tubes and coupling rings for the Precision Ports.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
No, it just increases the chance of 'chuffing'

The other reason for using 6" flares is that they look SO cool...:D

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
ThomasW

I built a clone of your klone using a Tumult and I agree that the 6" port does indeed look cool. The added benefit, of course, is no chuffing at ear-splitting, sinus pounding levels. Even though the model indicated port airspeed may be a problem in my combo, I can still hear no chuffing.

Ben Ch

Agent
Wow, 9-1/2 inches.
That guy holding the port must have pretty big hands. ;)

Thomas, including mine and yours, how many AS-15's would you be aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks