6 days to get my lawn in

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Brewer, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Because the small city we live in has water restrictions during the summer I have to have it planted by April 1.
    If I don't I can't get a watering permit and can only water according to restrictions and may have to stop when the restrictions become severe.

My lawn is only 85 sq feet real tiny....

Any recommendations for prepping the ground which is just dirt???

I will seeding...

2. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    ortho.com

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Astroturf, and you never have to mow it [​IMG]

4. Mark Brewer

John

Thanks for the link
    I found out exactly what I was looking for.
    The cement truck comes tommorrow.

My wife is so excited to have a lawn finally...
    YEY and who is going to mow it and take of it...
    ME!!!
    Just like the dog..

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Lay sod, skip the seeding. It's a bit more expensive, but much easier and you have instant green.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

I second the sod idea. Seed attracts all kinds of weeds, birds, etc. Sod also requires far less watering.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Last summer I re-lanscaped my entire lawn, put in a retaining wall, & also underground sprinklers. When it was time to decide between seeding and Sod I called around town. Sod was definetely cheaper if you had more then say 1500sq ft but other then that they were pretty darn close. I had right under 1000sq feet of lawn and it was only $50 more to use Sod then seed which gave me an instant lawn. I would check if you have a local Home Depot or Lowes near you they often bring palets of Sod in on the weekends to sell and you can pick up what you need for very little(call them first of course).

Best of luck on your new lawn that YOU get to take care of. [​IMG] I can tell you that my wife loves our new lawn though.

KyleS

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

For a lawn your size Mark, I would just go the sod route. The price is probably less then you expect.

If doing sod, make sure you have everything down to bare dirt, and the rough up the dirt with a rake to allow the sod's roots easy access. Make sure you rake up as many larger rocks as possible at this point as well. I also recommend filling in any low spots with soil if doing sod, because they can very noticeable on a ready grown yard.

If doing seed, take a similar approach in getting it down to bare soil. Spread your seed by hand (since your yard is small) or better yet with a seeder/spreader found at most home improvement stores. I would also recommend throwing down some hay to keep the seeds and place and give them a bit of nutrients. You could also look into one of the hydroseeding outfits in your area, but since your yard is so small this probably won't be a cost effective option.

Either route, proper watering is the key. If you have any desires for a sprinkler system the best time to put one in place is right now before your grass is layed.

J

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Also, when placing sod, wet the dirt and the sod both, place and then use a water wagon to roll the sod removing all air gaps between the sod and soil.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"My lawn is only 85 sq feet real tiny"

Now that's funny[​IMG]

Brent L
    Make sure you buy a Honda for that beast[​IMG]

11. Justin Lane

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This is kind of a related question. In my new house they put sod down. Its been in place for about 2 months now I think. There are some parts that still have not taken yet. I was in the backyard and I stepped down and felt something solid. I was able to lift up the sod still and pulled out a brick and in another spot a big rock. Obviously those pieces just haven't been able to grow in but there are other spots also. How long does it take sod to take? I also have a good piece of area that water pools in and does not drain correctly. The grass there basically looks like dead and swampland. Whats the best way to fix that? I've been trying to get the builder to come out and fix it for a few weeks now but they aren't responding and I'm getting tired of looking down and seeing a mudpack.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

14. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

85 square feet. Jeez, my movie screen is almost that big.[​IMG]

15. Justin Lane

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Yeah I'm not to happy with the state of some parts of my backyard. I've watched landscapers put in sod before. I know they raked it all but I don't know how they missed the big rock and brick piece. I'm sure there are other pieces. I've got a guy coming out tonight to talk to me about a sprinkler system estimate, I may ask him about that part of my lawn at the same time.

What is in the problem spot doesn't even look like sod anymore. When you walk up to it you can see down to the dirt and it just looks like a bunch of dead growth lightly covering it. Its St. Augustine grass so I'm kinda hopeing that when the rest starts growing it kinda creeps into this area and helps it grow, but so far I'm not hopeful. Once summer comes that part will dry out quickly and I'll be able to get a better look at it if they haven't fixed it by then. I'm about to go down to the sales office and find out why no one has bothered to call me about getting some things warrenty fixed like they are supposed to.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    When choosing sod or seed, if possible get a blend with 10% Blue grass mixed in. Blue grass grows horizontally. It works great for any holes, dog spots and what nots. Just FYI.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Never knew that about the blue grass, Ron. How does it look overall? I have 2 dogs and they kill the grass all summer long.

19. Mark Brewer

It looks like we are going to go the seed route...
    Going to mix a little bit of sand and Peet moss in with the top soil per recommendations of friends who are local. Going to get an old fashioned mower for the law, seeings that it is so small...

_____

20. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit