6 Channel Receiver Under $600 - Outlaw has finally has some company...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelW, Apr 1, 2001.

1. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer has announced the 810S, a 6 channel receiver that is DTS ES Compatible. It also has component video switching, but I am unsure if it has enough bandwidth for HDTV.
    Now the interesting part, MSRP of $575.00.
    Here's a link to the details...
    Pioneer 810s
    ------------------
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Too bad it doesn't include DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 (that would be cool at the $500 level!).
    Dan
    ------------------
    Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

It says 7.1 channel input - Wouldn't that mean 7 speakers plus a sub?
    I got a quote from Crazy Eddie.com for $429.00. I may just get this if the component switching is HD capable..
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What? New receiver and no DPL II?? [​IMG]
    I think the new Onkyo 595 is going to be the one to beat sub-$500 for a while. The only thing it's missing IMO is the pre-outs. At the sub-$500, I don't think component switching and 6.1 should really be a concern.
    Maybe Denon will strike back with some new models that do it all.... Here would be an absolute killer for sub-$500:
    DD/DTS, DPL II, DD EX, DTS ES matrix and discrete, Dolby Headphone
    7 onboard amps, decently powered
    at least 2 opt/ 2 coax inputs
    HD component switching 3 in, 1 out
    backlit, learning remote
    adjustable crossovers for each channel
    7.1 pre-outs
    Might be a while until we see that....
    RichardH

5. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

I was pretty suprised to see that the new Pioneer doesn't include Dolby Pro Logic II. The obviously are going to try to bank on the DTS ES, and hope the DPLII craze doesn't hurt sales too much.
    ------------------
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

On Pioneer's web page, it says this thing is EX ready. What does that mean exactly. If I have a DD EX DVD will it decode it properly? Does it do a matrix or something similar to the Denon 3801 and they don't want to pay Lucas?
    This thing does seem mildly interesting. I would love to see one. I would love to see an Elite based on it as well.
    ------------------

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
  8. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

This sounds like a great receiver. Has anyone confirmed if it will do DD EX or switch HDTV? Also, does anyone know if it does DTS ES discrete, or just matrix?
    Unfortunately, Pioneer's website it not very helpful on this.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm reading the manual to the 810S right now, and I'm still unsure of the HDTV issue as well as the DTS-ES discrete issue. It seems to have a specific part about turning on the DTS-ES, but nothing on whether it does pseudo-THX EX processing. It seems that they never can mention that for legal reasons. I'm heading to Best Buy tommorrow to see if they have any units on the floor.
    If you want to take a crack at the manual, register on Pioneers site and then download the manual for the 710S; the manual applies to the 710S, 810S, and 850S.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

10. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Matt. Please let us know what you find out. I will take a crack at the manual also.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I also discovered that it comes to $390 shipped from Etronics.com, which gives it a significant price edge over the Outlaw (499 for A-stock, 449 for b-stock, plus $55 shipping).
    If the outlaw did ES matrix, I probably wouldn't even consider the 810S, but I want to keep my options open.
    The pages in the manual to look at are 17,28, and 30.
    Heres a link to the press release:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,1771,00.html
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

12. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Dammnit I just ordered an Outlaw 1050 yesterday. Why didn't you post this yesterday!? [​IMG] I would be willing to bet even though the Pioneer 810S has a few more bells and whistles when it comes down to it the Outlaw probably sounds better. I just got rid of a Pioneer that I bought just becuase it had DTS and S-video switching that sounded seriously underpowered and it was rated at 100X5. If somebody has listened to both of these please post some details.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

13. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Finally, someone mentions the sound [​IMG] I was reading through this thread and wondering why no one seemed to be bothered with whether the receiver sounded good or not. If a manufacturer packed a seemingly amazing number of features into a seemingly amazingly priced receiver, that's the first question I would ask - what could have possibly been compromised?
    Just my 2c... I'm pretty sure no two people have the exact same set of priorities.

14. Fletcher

Fletcher Extra

I sure hope the Outlaw sounds better since I am in the same boat as Kevin C and just got the Outlaw today. This thing is heavy! I bet the Pioneer isn't as heavy. That's gotta count for something right? [​IMG] Anyways, I guess I would also like to hear from someone about the sound quality of this Pioneer.
    Fletcher

15. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

The Pioneer actually cost the dealer probably ~$300. There is no middleman with the Outlaw, so on that basis alone there is plenty of room ($200) to add additional quality while making the same profit margin.

16. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX THX DD DTS DTS-EX ready in the "for sale" section for $600. Retails for $1100 if anyone is interested.

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Kevin, Fletcher and others: Don't regret getting the Outlaw. You WILL be happy with its' performance!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ------------------
    DTCP, DFAST, 5C, DVI, and HDCP smell like DIVX!!!

18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    quote: I love their new amplifier achronym....PHAT - Pioneer Hybrid Amplifier Technology.
    That's so "KEWL"[/quote]
    "...and I'm talking P-H Phat..."
    -Ben Stiller (fr: Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water, and Meet the Parents)
    I've been doing some research, and I think that from Crazy Eddies, the Onkyo 696 is a better deal than the 595. It is not sub $500, but the 696 has DPLII and 5.1 out for the price.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring

19. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Kevin, although I am not a big Outlaw fan I can say this with enough confidence that the outlaw will be a high current receiver and built more solid than the Pioneer. You do not have anything to worry about.
    BTW, if it does not say DTS-ES Discrete then it is only DTS-ES matrix. Yes, it will most probably do DD-EX with THX-EX encoded movies.

20. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

For DD-EX you need THX certification and have to pay THX royalties. I bet that is why this "budjet" reciever doesn't have it.
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------