What's new

6 channel question (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Hey guys,
My reciever has dts decoding and an lfe output, the problem is this is only available with the 6 channel input.

How common is this? I've never seen a 6 channel out on any of my gear... could someone explain this to me?
Are there conversion cables?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not 100% sure I understand...

When you use the 6 channel input, that is still 5.1, andif you use that you are no longer using the AVR to DTS decode.

6 channel out is extremely common on DVD players, that offer decoding as a feature.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you are mistaken. LFE will be available when using a digital connection as well. This is a function of your receiver's bass management settings. The LFE/bass will also be present with analog, but this is also based on a player's bass management settings, since you are dealing with analog signal (already processed). Regardless of analog or digital, if there is no LFE channel present in the recording, you will not get LFE (stereo, mono, etc...).

There are a number of DVD players that have built in decoding, in which case they will have multichannel analog outputs to use with your receiver. All DVD-A and SACD players will also have multichannel analog outputs.

I don't know what you mean by conversion cables?

I was there to watch the Wings lose last night...:D

Kevin G.

Second Unit
hey John,
I oughta just start pm-ing you;)
No I checked out the settings when I press "dvd 6 ch" on my remote, the LFE lights up on my receiver,(it has a little diagram of all the speakers in L.E.D.)
at no other time does the LFE light up.
I thought maybe there were some cables that converted my output on the dvd player to 6 ch, as I have no 6 ch out on my onkyo.
Oh yeah, I can't decode dts I've never heard the difference

John S

Senior HTF Member
And your connection is via Optical or Digital Coax?

What model DVD player and what model Onkyo?

Most of the time, in the DVD player system menu, DTS and DD and Bitstream must be set on/enabled to get it from the digital audio cable.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Onkyo DV-CP701 6 disc hooked up through optical output.
and everytime I enable dts decoding, I get no sound.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Still sounds like you have something set wrong in the DVD player system menu...

Your PCM / Bitstream setting is for Bitstream...

I can think of ne real reason this could be happening..

I know for a fact that on one of the Onkyo SR501 installs I did before xmas, we are using optical, and using his PS/2 for his DVD player, and DTS works great as does Dolby Digital. he also has used a cheapie DVD player with great results as well.

We had to make the DD, DTS, and Bitstream setting correct first though.

When you say enable it? Do you mean on the actual DVD menu or the DVD player menu or both?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
if I enable in the player menu and the dvd menu I still get no sound, I also haven't checked this in a couple months, since I re-wired all my stuff

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, you should revisit this....

I think that you need to make sure everything is working as promised...

I sure hear the improvement DTS makes when it is done well, but still probably use it, just because I have it more than anything.

I used to not think I had much DVD DTS content, but dang, now that I check every disc, I find it is on a way significant percentage of my DVD's.....

Kevin G.

Second Unit
The receiver's brocure says that any lfe below a certain level will be sent to the lfe channel/however I never noticed this since I've owned the unit,
When I moved all my stuff and checked all my user's guides to hook everything up again and began investigating

John S

Senior HTF Member
".1" sources have LFE, your receiver should at a minimum give LFE + Any bass content for any channel set to small lower than the selected xover point out the Sub Out....

Your DTS and DD should work well and provide dramatic Sub content from a digital connection from your DVD player to your receiever.

Beyond that, it is hard to tell why it isn't working as it should.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like your player cannot pass the DTS signal, and despite the fact that your receiver can decode it, your player is not sending anything. If it was just a setting, you would at least have gotten PCM stereo (the default) when selecting DTS.

Does it say DTS in your digital audio menu on your DVD player?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=DV-CP701&class=DVD&p=i[/url]
Here's the link to my model(hope this works firs time posting a link)
It's supposed to support dts. It has a bitstream setting (I can't remember the hz's)
what should it be set at?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DTS Digital audio settings on your player should be:

DTS = on
PCM or Bitstream = Bitstream

If your receiver is playing Dolby Digital correctly, then with these settings, DTS should work as well.

GBTCA :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
If your DVD player has its own decoder.. DO NOT get confused about what your actually setting on and off.

If the player is set to send DTS out from its own decoder, than you would get no sound on the digital out.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Stupid question.
I have a sub out on my reciever and it has settings for LFE and SUB in the setup menu. When I play movies in DTS it shows the sub is running.

When or if does LFE kick in?

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

Good question. Stupid answer:

[rant]L[/rant]ow [rant]F[/rant]requency [rant]E[/rant]ffects have to be encoded into the program material.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You mean over your digital in connction???

I have never looked, I just know my sub is rage'n from the same output that is used for DD is all..

.1 means just that though, it is a fully descreet channel on 5.1 and 6.1.........

Sub to me would indicate that content for any channel set to small below the xover point is being output.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Yes over my digital coax connection. I have a light that shows what speakers are running but it never shows the LFE always the sub. I thought it was weird because there is no LFE output on the reciever. I thought that was just how companies named their Low Level Frequencies? Does the disk have to be encoded with something in particular? It's a Sony STRDE595

Kevin G.

Second Unit
K,
I thumbed through my collection last night for a movie with dts and that I know has good effects, and played X2, after much fiddling I did get the LFE light to light up but I had no idea what I switched. I'll try to write down my dvd menu setup tonite, and see what you guys think...
I setup the dvd itself to dts and.... no sound
I have an e-mail into the manufacturer of my receiver I'm pretty sure, now, it doesn't support dts(It does have the dts symbol in the background I'm just curious if maybe the background screen is mass produced and put in all similar models, and some have the dts decoder) does this make any sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks