6 Channel Combiner for 2 SACD/DVD-A players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_TSL, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

Oct 9, 2002
    I have 2 players that output 6 channel audio.
    My receiver, of course, has 1 set of 6 channel inputs.
    Is there a hardware combiner/splitter available?
    I suppose one could use Y cables, but that would be kinda nasty.
    Also, what do you suppose the receiver would do if I went that way and both sources were producing output?
    Thanks in advance for not rolling your eyeballs too much [​IMG]
  2. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Mar 14, 2002
    The lack of a digital interface for DVD-A and SACD is a complete pain in the butt. If memory serves, the y cables is not a good idea. Here's a few approaches that people have tried to address this problem (The options are not in any particular order):
    Option 1:
    If you are looking for a low cost option, you can use two 3 input radio shack switch boxes (#15-1952), @ $15 each. With this approach, you can switch directly into the multichannel inputs of the receiver.
    Option 2:
    You can also use the Sony TAP-9000ES to accomplish this task. It's about $450 dollars and you won't have to change receivers. This approach will work best if you have a "outboard" amplification. In other words, you are using the Onkyo Receiver as a preamp/processor.
    SACD -->
    DVD --> TA-P9000ES -> Amp
    Receiver -->
    I guess you could hook it up according to the diagram below, but then you will have to deal with two volume controls. I think this is a tricky, but I have never tried it.
    SACD -->
    DVD --> TA-P9000ES -> Receiver
    Option 3:
    Shawn Fogg offers a DVD-A/SACD switch box designed to solve this problem for about $200. With this approach, you can switch directly into the multichannel inputs of the receiver. No other amplification required. Shawn's Website
    Option 4:
    You could go with a "multi-format" player that played both formats. However, from the reviews I've read, the SACD performance on the stand-alone devices will be better. However, I don't have experience with any of the multi-format players.
    Other issues to consider. You may need some form of bass management for your new player. Most DVD-A and SACD players do not provide very flexible bass management.