6 Channel Analog Switch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhilipM, Oct 25, 2001.

1. PhilipM

PhilipM Auditioning

Hi All!
    A recent upgrade has left me with both a multi-channel SACD player and a DVD-A player for my older system. Naturally my AVP (Denon 3802) has only one set of multi-channel analog inputs. I have been searching the net for some sort of IR controlled switch matrix without any luck. Well, no luck in the sense that I haven't been able to find anything that seems like it would have a reasonable level of fidelity. Any ideas would be VERY much appreciated!
    Philip

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Both Sony (TA-P9000ES $450) and Switchman ($3200) make multi-ch swicthes.
    ------------------
    Q

3. PhilipM

PhilipM Auditioning

Thanks for the input! The Sony seems hard to find, but certainly looks like it will do the trick.
    Philip

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'm back with hope someone can help...

Looking at Shawn's design it appears that the 6 channel switch could be done with 2 of the 4PDT relays working in parallel.

Does that makes sense? Anyone?

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Hi Jeff,

Yes, a second 4PDT relay (or use 2 3PDT,3 DPDT, or even 6 SPDT relays) could be added in either parallel or series - depending on how you are powering them. Connecting relays in parallel means they'll switch with the same voltage, but require twice the current. Connecting in series means twice the voltage with the same current. Just make sure that whatever you're using to power the relay(s) has enough current capability.

7. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

You could also build one based on ICs such as the Analog Devices SSM2404 and SSM2402. I have ordered the chips some time ago but I haven't yet had the opportunity to build a prototype.
    .... Just an idea [​IMG]

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Isaac,

Let me ask you this... remember I'm a novice at this stuff.

SACD and DVD-A are high resolution formats, right? They both state specs that have a greater freq range than CD, CD is 5-20kHz, I though DVD-A and SACD had an upper range of 90-100kHz. Not that you could ever HEAR above 20k...

The audio switch specs state distortion and noise are negiligble over the full audio range, 20-20k. I'm not sure if the greater freq response of the DVD-A/SACD is important, but it out of the 20k range.

I don't understand a lot of things... these parts look interesting and I'd like to see your design, if you do it.

9. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I remember reading something about human hearing up to about 80kHz, I forget. Audibility test were done with brain activity monitored for each test, it was shown that beyond 20kHz (up to a point) our body continues to detect sound even though we think we're not hearing any such high frequencies. Interesting [​IMG]

If I had such high fidelity equipment [I only have a SONY DVP-S336 [​IMG] ], I would avoid source switching as much as possible. But if I had to make one, I'd probably go with an all-passive, high quality, mehanical switch such as a multi-way rotary switch. Nevermind the switching transition noise since we don't listening while switching between sources, do we [​IMG] All that remains is the construction of a heavy duty chassis; worthy of NSA's information radiation seal of approval [​IMG]

I'll post details, measurements and pictures on the IC-based analog switch as soon as I get to tinker with it.

[​IMG]