What's new

6 channel amplifiers: which do you reccomend? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I know ATI makes a 6 channel amp, but that is some serious dough, I believe..

I am looking to use a reciever as a preamp(perhaps a Denon 2802, HK AVR520 or Yamaha RX-V730) and mate it with a 6 channel amp...

I am looking for at least 75watts X6 and was wondering if their are any budjet solutions?

PS: Does the HK AVR520 decode Dolby Digital EX 6.1?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
don't know your budget but i remember seeing a classe cav-75 for $850 at audiogon last week. i think it is a 6 channel amp. it would be the way to go if lower wattage is what you're after.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
under a grand, i'd go for the classe cav-75. i can't think of any other 6 channel amps for under a grand. note: i am not the seller of the classe.

kevin t

Nick L

Second Unit
No the AVR 520 does not decode Dolby Digital EX 6.1. It will do DTS ES however.

Nick L

ling_w

Second Unit
Why would a HT guy want a Classe? Anyway, the multichannel Classe are nothing like the 2ch Classe, which in itself are nothing like the old DR series Classe amps.

If you are into HT, then one of the mid level brands will more than do like Adcom, Parasound.

I think the new Anthem PAV-7 could had for a little over $1k.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
ling:

i only recommended the classe based upon the fact that he said 75 x 6. i remembered seeing the classe at audiogon and knew it fit the bill perfectly as it was $850. i am unaware of any 6 channel amps under $1000. sure there are plenty 5 channel amps under $1000 but 6 channel ones are few and far between.

kevin t

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
You may want to checkout the Rotel RMB-1066. It does 6x60, 5x70...3x150. Very nice and inexpensive.

Kevin

Patrick_T

Agent
Question about the rotel 1066 (and multi-channel) amps and bridging. What, if any, are the downsides on bridging? Does distortion or any other spec that is undesireable become more prominant when bridging? The Rotel seems like a perfect amp to grow with. You can start with six channels of 60 Watt power...then add another one and bridge both for 6 channel of 150 Watt power. It seems to me tha logically there must be some downside. I'm sure someone has the answer.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly,

The new model Yamaha flagship (RX-Z1) is coming out soon. If the past is any guide, you may be able to pick up the retiring flagship (RX-V1) at bargain prices within the next two months (perhaps even cheaper than buying an external amp and the RX-V730). This will give you a more flexible unit with awesome sound and 6x110 watt amps. Remember, external amps aren't always better.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread