6 bass shakers and amp wiring

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greg_mc, Jan 9, 2004.

1. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Just purchased 6 Aura pro shakers and one amplifier (Part 300-792) from partsexpress.com. Specs on amplifier...Power: 110 watts RMS into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD, 156 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ 0.2% THD. The plan is to run one shaker to each of the three recliners and 3 shakers on the sofa. Want to run all 6 shakers with this one amplifier. Anybody have wiring diagram on how to do this and still keep ohm balance at the right level?

2. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

Yep,
    First, I need to know if you are using a receiver or separates......... are you using a pre-amp/processor??

If it's an amp, does it have two channels or is it just one channel??

If possible, I'd keep the sofa and the chairs on separate circuits so you can control the level of bass going to each. You will probably want to hook up the shakers in series to do that. I'll cover that but,,,

I need to have some answers to the above before we can go further.
    [​IMG]

3. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Current setup

Onkyo TX898
    Onkyo CP701
    120W amp from partsexpress.com (to drive shakers)

4. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

OK Greg,
    Most "basic" amps do not have volume controls. Since I am not familiar with the amp from Parts Express, I'll assume it does not come with a "built in" way to control the volume, so you will control the output to the shaker's amp using your receiver with a "Y" at the subwoofer line level output of the receiver. This is the same output you use to hook up your sub. (You are using a sub?) So, you will have one side of the "Y" for interconnect line out to your sub and the other side of your "Y" an interconnect going out to your shaker amp. Does this make sense??

In any case, since you have 6 shakers, each rated at 4 ohms, with only one shaker amp output, you want to hook them up so the amp will "see" a load of between 4 and 16 ohms.

Here's how I would wire the shakers.......

(I'll tell you first, then I'll explain details as you ask questions)

First, I'd wire three of the shakers in series.
    this will give you a total of 12 ohms. These three can be for the sofa.

Next, I'd wire the other three the same way, in series, for the three chairs, again 12 ohms total for those three.

Finally, I'd put the "end" + and - leads from each "grouping" of three together and you will have two 12 ohm loads in parallel so the amp will "see" 6 ohms.

Golly, I hope this is not too confusing.........
    Questions???????????? Since I don't know your experience with this stuff. I might be too basic or maybe too "over the top." I can "scan" a drawing for you ....... Tell me where we stand................ More to follow........