6" Aeroports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Wow! These things are massive. Picked up the 6" Aeroport at my local Rockford Fosgate dealer tonight for $35.68. These things should really make the Tumult tumultuous (sorry).

These things will need a massive hole in the enclosure to install. Therein lies the problem. I build an enclosure with 1.5" walls and a 2.25" baffle and the area right around the aeroport is 1/8" thick plastic. After I installl these should fill in the gap in the baffle and the aeroport with epoxy or cement? Am I giving this way too much thought?

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

If it is a surface mount I just siliconed the edge of the wood around the opening and along the inside edge of the hole. Then I just sat the flange in the hole and wiped the access silicone. might need to use something stonger than silicone if you are mounting the port in something other than an upfiring position. I used silicone for the pipe too. it takes a lot longer to set but I hate the long term commitement of pvc glue.

3. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i cut my holes for my 4 in flaired ports ti the od of the culping to fit throgh. and to get them to sit ritht i used a round over bit moved a bit deeper. to atach i used a good cauck and 4 screws per flange.

4. Bryan Michael

is that 38 per endcap or 38 for 2 endcaps? i got my 4 in flairs for 1 buck a piece and 78cents for each culping so that is a grand total for each port of 5 buck per port finished with glew and tubeing.

5. Shawn Solar

These flanges are a bit different. They are a custom order. the are 6" in dia and taper out to 9.5" with about 2" of depth. The mounting hole is 9"-9.25" I can't remeber. Then you still got to buy the tube/pipe. And that is $38 for two flanges.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Brian,

LOL I was thinking the same thing.. I am usually good at
    understanding typo's but I can't even touch that one [​IMG]

Here is my Loose Translation...

I cut my holes for my 4" Flared ports to the O.D. of the coping? to fit through. And to get them to sit right I used a round over bit adjusted a bit deeper. to attach I used a good caulk and 4 screws per flange.

8. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded some info on these port flares from the Rockford Fosgate website last night. They recommend a 9" hole rounded over with a 1/2" roundover bit. I will also fill the space between the flare and the enclosure with some type of material just to make it a little more solid.

I thought the $35.68 for the two flares was reasonable. I have seen the 6" flares for as high as $50 a pair on the web. My dealer has two more pairs. I am not sure Rockford even markets theses any more. May pick them up for future projects.

9. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Jack

The 90 degree elbow I need to purchase to fit the 32.25" port in the box will cost $27. Ouch! No cheap way out to tune a box for the Tumult. I considered a slot port, but that had to be bent several time too. Hard to get a decent flare on a slot port as well. Ended up using PVC.

The port resonance is kind of low at 188 hertz. However, with a bend in the port maybe this will reduce the resonance. If the resonance does rear its ugly head, I may be able to eq around it using the BFD. The BFD also easily takes out the response hump due to the high voicecoil inductance.

I do not know what type of PVC to use for the port. I know there is schedule 40, 80 and DMV (drainpipe). I am hoping all of these pipes are the same o.d.

10. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I think the green stuff is drainpipe (DWV). Thanks for the tip. I was lurking in Klone Audio last night admiring Thomas W's work. I am trying to proportion my enclosure similar to his becuase the dimensions of his enclosure look "right." I only have about 28" of depth though. So bend the port I must.

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

IMO it's not a good idea to use anything but a straight port. Elbows change the resistance of the port. But if the box is already built, then there's no choice.....

The shear size of the 6" AreoPorts flares makes working with them a challenge....I used a roundover bit to make a nice fit.

The green 'drain pipe' PVC is the only type I've found that mates with the 6" AeroPort flares.

I made a custom flange for the front of the AS-15 to gain extra port length without using a bigger (longer) box. The port still doesn't stick out as far as the HE-15 surround

I simultaneously attached the flare to the PVC pipe with caulk (slow setting time) and used 5 min epoxy to glue the flare to the front baffle custom flange. This was a little tricky but worked out fine

The AS-15 was Clio tested to a tuning of 18.56Hz. That's using a piece of pipe 22.5" long, then adding the length dual flares.

Due to the bigger volume we used a slightly longer pipe for the 6" AeroPort flares in Pete's BP-1503 based tube sub

[​IMG]

12. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Thomas

How well did the sonotube work out. I was afraid that with the Tumult, the tube would be dancing in the corner. Is this a concern?

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Greg

Although in this photo the sub is 'upside down', this is the bottom of the sub when we were putting it together.

[​IMG]

As you can see the driver fires downward toward a plate that's part of the sub itself. So no problems with dancing subs....

The performance of the sub is extremely good.

14. Bryan Michael

i fixed my messang i was prety slepy when wirteing.

i cut my holes for my 4 in flaired ports to the outside diamiter of the cluping.and to get them to sit right i used a round over bit moved a bit deeperthan normal to give a small lip. to atach i used a good cauck and 4 screws per flange.

15. Shawn Solar

Thomas,

Does adding the flares to the end of the tube affect the tuning point. I used unibox to get a 20.4hz with a 28" 6" port. will it the sub be tuned lower with the addition of the flares?. If so, by how much?

I also use a BP1503 in a sonotube. I have a bottom plate and tripple thick endcaps with no problems. I also lined the inside and outside with 1/2" foam. I fitted the sock over the foam then tucked the excess sock between the foam and top cap(which is cut with a 1/2" overhang) I used theaded rod(3/8") through the top and bottom caps then terminated the rod on the bottom of the plate. I usedc metal washers with rubber bootms to seal the hole that the rod exits the tube.

The port was pretty tricky and very hard to fit. I siliconed the bottom flare in place before I sent it up the driver cutout and through the top(I also let it set first) Then siliconed the top flare on and put a a length of duct tape around before setting it in the cutout. I let it set upside down over night.

The pipe was a thinwall pvc(1/4"wall) mine was white. But I'm from Canada it may be different up here[​IMG]

16. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Shawn

Each flare adds ~2.75" in length to the port.

Yes if length of PVC remains the same and you add the flares that will lower the tuning point provided the volume of the sonotube remains the same.

I don't factor the actual amount of the flare into my calculations. Some people advocate subtracting 1" from the port length if flares are used. I just use the total length. Remember that there's roughly a 10% 'fudge factor' with vented designs

To calculate the tuning change with the addition of the flares just increase the port length by 5.5" and rerun the box model.

17. Shawn Solar

Alright I reran the sim adding 5.5". It looks to be about 18.75hz-ish. Doesn't really affect too much. I could always cut another pipe as I have a 5ft length. Another thing came to mind though. The flares are said to add 3db more spl vs using straight port. If that is true could you not just run the sim at half power to see the affects of the flares. Would be a best case scenario and rather crude but Think it would be a close to accurate assumption?

18. Bryan Michael

lets say you wanted to make a grill for a speaker? like the tuliment. how would you get the mesurement for how thick you need to make the grill?