What's new

6.5" Tang Band subwoofers (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
Someone suggested to me that I look at these for my choice of subwoofer. I checked out the specs and noticed that the frequency range only goes down to 35hz. Isnt it essential for a subwoofer in a home theater setting to play to/around/below 20hz? (n0ob here :) ) they can be found here

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
At the bottom of the description, they call it a "multimedia subwoofer". No sub with a 6.5" driver will do it in a HT application. If you can give a price range that you wanted to spend on a sub, I'm sure the fine folks around here can offer some worthy suggestions.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
your planning on building your own enclosure? All you want to buy is a driver? or do you want a subwoofer that you can use right out of the box without hours of building?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if you're wanting to build your own sub this really belongs in the DIY forum. Also, providing us with a budget would be helpful.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i'm pretty well decided on what i want to do as far as the sub/amp/box, and yes i'm going for diy. Someone suggested the sub i mentioned, so i checked out the specs, and was wondering why they'd suggest that if the frequency range only reaches down to 35hz. Thanks for the replies.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The only way that I think it will be an effective subwoofer is if you build a bandpass type box with two of the woofers.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

What did you tell that person to make them suggest that driver to you? In other words, what are your design goals/limitations? Do you need a super small enclosure or something? That's the only reason I'd be looking at this driver for subwoofer use.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we'll make some suggestions.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a thread going on the sounddomain forum (car audio) and i've had people giving me suggestions on what to get for a sub and amp, DIY of course. Someone suggested the 6.5 tang band subs, i replied on that thread asking about them and whether or not its important to have a really low frequency range for HT. The thread kind of died, so i assumed no one knew, thats why im asking here. i'm pretty sure that i'm right in saying that you want a the frequency range to play as low as possible, but i'm just asking to make sure.

I've pretty much decided on the Dayton 15" Titanic MKIII with a 500 watt rms plate amp, both from partsexpress.com I designed a 12 cf gross box, tuned to 18 hz. I'm not concerned about the space, i've designed the box around the rest of my entertainment system. Even though its in a dorm room, it will fit quite perfectly.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
These are not HT "subs". They look nice in a small box to give punch to a small system tuned to 40Hz or so. Maybe even a tiny sealed box with one of the bass-boosted cheap plate amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks