6.5" bookshelf speaker as center channel speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jim Mcc, May 18, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Is using a 6.5" 2-way bookshelf speaker as center channel speaker a bad idea? Would the single driver work ok as a center channel speaker? I don't have these speakers yet so I can't try it out. I would use 6 of these plus a sub. Thanks for your advice.

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

why not?

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

As long as it's magnetically sheilded.

4. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Some would argue that using 6 identical speakers is the ideal situation. Better than using a center of a different design. If you have a place for it than it is good. It probabley needs to be placed upright, not on its side.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I've always used a mate to the l/r - right now it's an Athena B1. Works great. Before that it was NHT 'Ones, but I like the greater output and better dynamics of the Athena's.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

o yeah. good point. almost everything is, nowadays, so i forgot about that.

7. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

8. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

I agree with your point, however it has been my experience that bringing unshielded speakers near a tube TV screen causes that blue effect on the TV near where the magnet is. Maybe some magnets on center channels might be small enough that they don't cause this but many would if they weren't shielded. I don't think other speakers would really matter if they are distanced from the TV but I feel that the center should normally be shielded.

As far as all of your other points go I completely agree.

brad cook

9. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Isn't that assumption the driving force behind marketing and sales? If a company/mfr tells you what you need, then the uninformed will believe it to be necessary and true.

11. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Go ahead, nothing wrong with using a bookshelf speaker as av CC. I have a friend who uses 5 Monitoor Audio Gold Reference (floorstanders) all around for HT & muti-ch audio, Sounds outstanding!

12. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

Because the center channel receives the largest portion of the "sound pie" during movies, I often wonder why some center speakers have smaller drivers than their matching L/R mains. Certainly, the single tweeter found in most centers today must really be working hard during an action flick, such as LOTR with all it's clanging swords and such. For these reasons I'm currently using a pair of DCM CX-17 bookshelf/stand monitors wired in parallel for the center channel. I feel better knowing that two tweeters share the load and the power handling has doubled.

The two speakers laid flat and against each other make a rather imposing center, though.

13. Bhavesh

Bhavesh Stunt Coordinator

Jim,
    I found this on the Axiom board an saved it for future reference:

Let's see if I can explain from a technical aspect exactly what is going on. The dilemma with center channels is the various desired end goals can tend to be technically in opposition. The perfect center channel would be:

1) Timbre matched to the right and left fronts for a smooth transition across the front of your system
    2) Have all the parts as close as possible to the video screen to keep the vocals appearing to be coming from the appropriate spot.
    3) Have identical left to right dispersion patterns.
    4) Have very good left to right dispersion patterns
    5) Have similar power handling and output to the left and right speakers
    6) Have similar spl per watt as the left and right speakers

Using a 3rd speaker identical to the front channel positioned on its side will accomplish every desired goal except 3) and 4). In fact half of 4) will be accomplished.

Using a 3rd speaker identical to the front channel positioned normally will accomplish every goal except 2).

Using a center channel like the VP100 will accomplish every goal except 4). To explain this further the woofer / tweeter / woofer type designs that are so popular for center channels all actually have weak left and right off axis performance. This trade off is popular because it accomplishes 5 out of 6 desired performance goals.

Ian Colquhoun
    President & Chief Engineer

And just FYI I use a single vertical M22 to the left of my TV.

14. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i need some advice too

im currently using mirage omni cc as my center channel with mirage omni 60s for my mains, and when listening to music the center channel speaker sounds very intrusive and lack of lower mid frequencies are blantantly apparent. its so sharp and piercing on higher pitches and the "SSSSSSSSS" sounds.

when i set the music to stereo the mains provide a much superior phantom center channel. the voices are much deeper and easier to listen to.

what are some good alternatives?

my center has dual 5.5" woofers, a 3" mid and 1" metallic tweeter

my mains have a sing;e 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter in each speaker.

im thinking about upgrading to the floorstanders and was wondering with there is a way to use the omni 60s (both) as a center channel speaker.

15. David K.

David K. Second Unit

could it be that i need to break in my center channel? ive had it for over a year now, so i dont know if thats the case, but it is extremely bright.

16. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi David,

Do your mains have 1" metallic tweeters?

Metal tweeters are brighter sounding than say a fabric (silk) tweeter. If you are using to different types of tweeters, that could be part of the problem.

17. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

18. David K.

David K. Second Unit

its set below the set, the tweeter is a little over 1 foot off the ground, so its probably slightly below ideal placement.

the tweeter is metallic with fabric surround. the tweeters on my mains are identical to my center channel. but my center has an extra 3" mid and woofers 1" smaller then my mains.

the phantom center from my mains sound so much more true to life though :/

yes my center is set to large, i was switching between stereo and pro lofic 2, and the center is definately missing a big chunk of the lower mids, it can not realistically replicate the sound of a male singer, while the two mains replicate a phantom center thats sounds as if the singer is right in front of me.

maybe the omni cc just isnt a very good center channel.

19. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

20. David K.

David K. Second Unit

for those wondering this is how my center channel is currently set up

http://www.geocities.com/RnB180/

geocitied doesnt let me post pic links only, sorry

though thats an old pic, i have my fronts slightly toed in and angled sligntly inward.

and somehow it sounds really intrusive, but thats how it sounds with pro logic, maybe its too close to to the listening position? but i doubt it since i have them all calibrated.