6.1????

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rex.G, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and continue to be amazed at how much information can be found here! What a great site!!
    here goes....
    I was considering upgrading to 6.1 but wasn't sure if it was worth it.
    Current set up:
    Toshiba 40h80 Monitor
    Toshiba SD3750 DVD
    Pioneer VSX-D409 Receiver 5.1 DD & DTS
    Bic Venturi DV52si Mains and surrounds
    Bic Venturi DV53CLR Center
    Sony SA-WM500 Sub

I have this set up in my apartment, 12'X13'. Seating is almost flush against the wall.
    If i do decide to upgrade i was looking to spend around $500 to $600 on the receiver and add another DV53CLR for the rear center. My concern is that i don't have enough space to get full enjoyment out of a rear center channel. Any thoughts?

Let me know what you think of my setup, and if its worth upgrading to 6.1.

Thanks!!
    Peter

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    It doesn't really sound like you have room for 6.1 right now. Unless you've got money, you've just got to spend, I'd wait until you have a bigger place.
    Right now too, there's not that many movies in 6.1 to get the full effect of it. What few movies there are, there's not a BIG difference in the 5.1 to 6.1. Mostly some ambient sounds from the rear center. The best movie I've heard in 6.1, for aggressive sounds from rear center, is Gladiator. It's more aggressive than most, but still doesn't have much. I've heard the 6.1s at a friend's place. It's not been enough difference to make me want to go out and upgrade from my 5.1 system..............
    See if a local store has a demo room setup with 6.1, and go listen. Maybe someone at a local store can connect you with someone that has a sytem at home, that will demo it for you.........
    Good luck!

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

There was someone else on the forum recently who had put his rear speakers on very short stands behind the couch pointed toward the ceiling. He said it gave a nice effect and it's also listed on Dolby's site as acceptable placement, so if you want 6.1 you could definitely do it.

4. John S

John S Producer

I still think it is way worth it, for the extra processing modes that you get along with it, if for no other reason.

5. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I am starting to get convinced. Does anyone have suggestions for receivers in the $500 to $600 range?

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might search in the Receivers section as I'm sure someone has asked about a receiver in this range before. I would suggest a refurb Harmon Kardon 525. But you should also look at Yamaha and Onkyo and a few others to see which you like the sound of.

7. William_W

William_W Auditioning

Use the Pioneer VSX 800 & 900 series, I have the 812 and it will doo upto 7.1, it rocks. Got it for $400.[​IMG]

8. John S

John S Producer

I have to say even though I am a Denon head, I think in your price range the H/K AVR-525 is probably the best thing out there.