6.1 vs 7.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianRS, Jul 29, 2001.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

Can someone explain the difference between these two. What modes support these set-ups, what is the proper speaker set-up, and is there a real advantage to going 7.1 vs 6.1?
    Also, since very little actually comes through the rear speaker/s(I think), could you get away with a inferior speaker/s for the back?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

There are no official 7.1 formats for the home theater environment. There is only one 6.1 format, DTS-ES.
    Surround-EX is derived information, meaning it isn't actually encoded into the data.
    The choice of one or two rear speakers is left up to the user.
    DTS-ES discrete contains a 6th channel which is once again monophonic, but can be played back on one or two rear speakers.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

3. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Actually, DTS claims that DTS ES 6.1 has a discrete center rear channel, and I've always thought of it as the only discrete 6.1 format.

4. John Kotches

Hubert,
    Maybe I'm missing something here... let me double check.
    Nope. I definitely mentioned DTS-ES discrete.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It frustrates me to hear 7.1 refer as a 6.1 with using two rear centers, its not 6.1 with two centers. There are 7.1 DSP processing put out by several different companies. What they do is take a 5.1 info and create two new side channels by combining the Front Left and the Rear Left/Front Right and Rear Right and placing it to the sides of the main viewing and placing the original R/L surrounds in the rear.
    Dolby and DTS has a new surround encoding and decoding called EX/ES and is "refer" to as 6.1 which can run the same amount of speakers as a 7.1 system by running two Rear center speakers. But the new two rear center speakers are receiving a mono signal.
    Dolby's EX and DTS ES new Matrixed channel is extracted out of the Surround Right and Left channels, and placed in the rear of the main seating with the Surround L/R on the sides of the main seating.
    DTS has also taken 6.1 to a new and true level by actually encoding a discrete ES channel on to some of their ES recordings that make it the only true 6.1.
    Wes

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

So,theoretically,
    If a receiver has 7.1 pre-outs and is SW upgradeable it should be able to support any new 7.1 format including the rumored overhead channel. ??
    Tom

7. John Kotches

Wes,
    I don't consider any derived channels as being a "real" format - they are estimates on what might have been in the channels. Nothing more, nothing less.
    As such, the only "real" 7.1 out there would be Sony's SDDS in theaters. Although it is officially in the DVD-Video spec as an alternative audio format, it is not scheduled for home theater release.
    Just my opinion, it sounds like we don't agree.
    Not the end of the world, and good healthy discussion is worthwhile.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

John, I misread your post. When you said the center surround was monophonic, I was thinking you were saying that it was derived from the left and right surround, hence it wasn't discrete. My bad.