6.1 vs. 7.1

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill Mullin, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I'm about the add back speakers to my system. I know that there are little to no DVD's that take advantage of 7.1 sound right now, but my Sony DA4ES should handle the mode with no problem. Additionally, there are 2 back corners of the room that are ideal for 2 additional back speakers, but there's a huge sliding door between them which makes it difficult to install only 1 back speaker. With all this in mind, is there any good reason why I should be considering 6.1 instead of 7.1 sound? That is other than the cost of the additional speaker? [​IMG]

TIA, Bill

2. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Corners are not ideal, even for surrounds, but on either side should work with some careful placement. I had a similar issue, with a sliding glass door in the center of the room (whole wall was windows/glass). I STILL put a single center on a stand, but once my friend got drunk and knocked it over, I went back to 5.1.

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I changed from a single rear center to dual rear centers simply because of a placement issue and have been very happy with the enveloping rear center sound.... I have mine hung on a back wall just above ear level and just below my rear surrounds..... Even if I didn't have a placemnt issue, I'd still use the dual rear cneters.......