6.1 to 7.1 (Logic 7, HK) Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a 6.1 system, but have always been intrigued by Logic 7. (I'm still hopeful for a < $1000 street receiver from HK that does L7 on 5.1 digital sources...)
    I guess the best way is to have 4 towers in back. But if I can only have 2 towers and 2 smaller speakers, which should be which?
    The surrounds are towers and the rears are OK to be smaller? And then for the smaller speakers, bookshelf direct radiators? How about small bipolars? (I have an old set of surround bipolars from Def Tech that my wife is currently using for her mains. BP-2's or something. I use BP-30s now for the surround towers.)
    Anyone know when the next gen of the HK 520 will be out? (Amazingly reviewed on audioreview.com. That's what put me up to this... [​IMG] )
    Thanks!

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've heard rumors that the replacements will be out sometime this fall, and they will be silver. Unfortunately, I don't have a way of positively confirming this though. At $597 shipped though, the AVR520 is very tempting. I was considering getting one for the other room, as I positively love the AVR8000 I got a few months ago.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was tempted by the 520 *now* too. But too many "gotchas":
    - Logic 7 only on stereo (analog?) sources
    - Strange crossover behavior (can't use 60 Hz on the mains unless they are set as large, which means there's now no high pass on them, just the low pass on the sub)
    - No DD EX
    (I think I got those all correct...) So that's why I'm curious about the 520's successor... [​IMG]

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Josh,

H/K uses 40Hz or 60Hz for the Large setting and 80Hz or 100Hz for the Small.

Kevin,

L7 Cinema can be applied to either Dolby Surround or Stereo material.
    L7 Music can be used with analog or PCM Stereo.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

For the large setting, it actually is not a crossover, but a simple low pass filter on the sub. The mains are run full range. I hope they fix that in the next rev... [​IMG]