6.1 speaker tips

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by NickScott, Jan 29, 2004.

1. NickScott

NickScott Stunt Coordinator

Jan 23, 2004
    I plan to run a center rear sooner than later and I need to find out some info.
    My speaker setup is
    Paradigm 9se mk2 fronts
    Wharfdale Modus center
    Wharfdale Diamond 8.1 rears

So for the center rear, do you usually use a front center, or a spare surround? Do you place it on the same line as the surrounds, or farther back. Since I will have to mount mine to a ceiling that is 45" from my ear level, I gather that angling the speaker would be the plan. Besides that, any other info would be great!
    Thanks everyone,

2. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Jul 9, 2003
    Something to keep in mind. If your current surround speakers are set up ideally, you may want to enter the idea of not running 6.1. That seems real close to the viewing position for the rear speaker. I have heard that you definitely do not want to point that speaker directly at your head.
    For what it is worth, I bought a rear center speaker, and could not get it set up perfectly, and found out that I liked 5.1 better. My issue was that I couldn't get it centered (room issues), which may be more difficult than your issue, but my point is 6.1 and 7.1 are better, but if your room doesn't allow it to be set up properly, don't be afraid to stick with what you have. You have really nice speakers.